ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] 60 day lock minority viewpoint

  • To: "Sedo :: Simonetta Batteiger" <simonetta@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] 60 day lock minority viewpoint
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 09:55:51 -0400

Simonetta,

I still respectfully disagree with your position, but in the interest of
a full and candid discussion must ask: is there any data on the
frequency of multiple transfers within a 60-day period?

You and others have used the "no data exists" argument against any
proposed change to the status quo.  Yet you've offered no compelling
data to support your own position.  While your discussions with
domainers (nfi) has led to the conclusion that no "additional burdens"
should be placed on "legitimate domain name transfers," we've seen no
quantification of how often such domainers typically transfer their
domains.  Is Sedo's minority position in support of a large share of its
customer base, or a small (but vocal) minority that wants the unfettered
ability to flip domains at will?  If the latter, is it really so
"burdensome" for these domainers to adjust their practices (i.e. respect
the "cooling off period" and/or work through the aftermarket provider to
effect any additional 'change of registrant' while the domain remains
under the management of your registrar) so that the broader domain name
market might be a little more secure?  In fact, the WG has hinted at a
service industry providers (like Sedo) could offer such domainers,
thereby meeting these unique registrants' needs while not undermining
efforts to incrementally improve industry security.

In the absence of any data demonstrating the frequency of transfer
requests and/or actual inter-registrar transfers within a 60-day period,
it's very hard for me to see Sedo's position as more than a defense of a
tiny special interest.

Regards, P