ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Public comment period opened

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Public comment period opened
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:49:21 -0800

Dear All,

For your information, a public comment period on the IRTP Part B
recommendations #8 and #9 part 2 proposals has now been opened (see
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-22nov11-en.htm). Comments
may be submitted until 31 December.

With best regards,

Marika

From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 07:03:25 -0800
To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>"
<Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP Part B - Proposed Way Forward

Dear All,

Now that everyone has hopefully recovered from the ICANN meeting in Dakar, I
would like to return to the discussion on the updated IRTP Part B proposals
that were circulated by staff and the subsequent comments made. In summary, the
following positions have been expressed (please forgive me if I have
mischaracterized the points made):

With regard to recommendation #8 (Clarifying Whois Status messages):

 *   Support for the Staff proposal and preferred approach vs. further
consideration needs to be given to the two options as outlined in the Staff
Proposal

With regard to recommendation #9 (Locking/unlocking domain names):

 *   Need to strike a delicate balance between registrant transfer abilities
and some reasonable prudence on the part of registrars vs. avoiding
registrar-imposed legal requirements into this policy -- that's effectively
opening the door for registrars to block just about any transfer

Proposed way forward:

 1.  All those that have not weighed in are encouraged to share their views on
the mailing list and/or make concrete suggestions how to improve the latest
version of the proposals (see attached). To tighten up the language for
recommendation #9, we would propose to replace the initial suggested wording
'The registrar may still be permitted or required to restrict some registration
changes or transfers pursuant to the UDRP or other ICANN consensus policies or
legal requirements' with 'Subject to ICANN specifications or policies and any
applicable laws or regulations, Registrars must follow the requirements set
forth below' which would be inserted at the beginning of the section 5. Those
that have expressed concerns with regards to ensuring 'reasonable prudence on
the part of registrars' are encouraged to suggest additional language to cover
those specific situations that are not already covered under the existing IRTP
Reasons for Denial, but which at the same time would not create a loophole that
would allow the registrar to keep a name locked solely at its discretion.
 2.  Update staff proposals, if needed, based on further comments / suggestions
received.
 3.  Put the proposals out for public comment to allow everyone to express
their views on the staff proposals.
 4.  Review comments received, update proposals accordingly, if needed, and
submit these to the GNSO Council for consideration.

As always, please feel free to share your views and/or suggestions. If this
approach is acceptable, I would like to encourage everyone to share their views
/ comments / suggestions (as described in step 1) at the latest by Friday 18
November.

With best regards,

Marika