ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] partial bulk transfer terms

  • To: "Diaz,Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] partial bulk transfer terms
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:54:47 -0700

Paul and Group:

To respond appropriately to Paul's original questions, I tried to
envision a product, service, or scenario that requires a PBT policy, and
is not possible using existing tools.  Ultimately, I came up empty.

While PBT may simplify / expedite bulk transfers in certain scenarios,
its absence does not currently prevent any scenario from occurring.  So,
in this respect, PBT is best described as a convenience.  Also, when you
consider that some registries offer equivalent services (and others are
free to follow suit), and that registrars have developed service
offerings that make the lack of PBT transparent to registrants, then
clearly the industry has addressed the need of PBT without the need for
new policy.

Finally, it is now clear from our discussions that defining the terms of
a hypothetical PBT policy have opened up new questions regarding its
potential effects on fees, registration terms, and domain security.

So, taking this all into perspective, I do not feel that a PBT-specific
policy is required to address the scenarios we have identified.  This is
reflected in some tentative language (in Blue) contained within the
latest draft of the Initial Report.

Thanks--

J.