ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] issue 1

  • To: "'Gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] issue 1
  • From: "Michael Collins" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:19:52 -0500

Hi all,

I would like to add the following text to issue 1 to address my concern about
doing anything to make transfers more difficult for registrants.

360  Those registrars participating in the Working Group confirmed that
normally the Gaining

361 Registrar sends the confirmation of a transfer to the admin contact since
that is the

362 contact that they have on file. It could be considered to make it a
requirement, instead of

363 optional, that the Registrar of Record confirms the transfer with the
Registrant (instead of

364 the admin contact). This would add another approval into the process that
could enable a losing registrar to delay or prevent a transfer. When combined
with other transfer process items that a losing registrar controls and can use
to cause difficulties and delay, registrar lock removal and auth code
retrieval, adding a requirement for the loosing registrar to confirm the
transfer has the potential of causing insurmountable difficulty and delay for
registrants especially when trying to transfer a large domain name portfolio.
However, but it would

365 resolve the problem of Registrant e-mail not being publically available and
it would

366 resolve the problem of domain transfers being authorized by the admin
contact without

367 the Registrant’s consent.

As for as expressing a solution preference for issue one: I would strongly
prefer that we ask ICANN to require a secure means (i.e. EPP or IRIS) for
registrars or registries depending upon whether a registry is thick or thin to
provide gaining registrars with the registrant email address. Gaining
registrars should be required to send a transfer authorization request
exclusively to the registrant and receive an affirmative response before
initiating an inter-registrar transfer with the registry.

If we do not have the authority to make this request or if this is not
technically feasible for some reason that I cannot understand, we should
suggest a change in policy to allow both the registrant and the admin contact
to have the authority to initiate and approve inter-registrar transfers without
any overruling registrant authority. Thus a registrant could not dispute a
transfer approved by admin contact.

Best regards,

Michael Collins

Executive Director