ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

Re: [gnso-irtpc] Commitment to Participate

  • To: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpc] Commitment to Participate
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:45:20 +0100

I must agree with Phil. Even though I fully intend to participate fully, I cannot turn this into a guarantee, as my daily work responsibilities must take precedent and cannot always be predicted as accurately as I would hope.

Also, what would be the penalties for violation a commitment that cannot be upheld at a later time?

Volker
Sorry to be an outlier, but I do not support the general concept of requesting
members of any ICANN working group to take a formal commitment in regard to
their uncompensated volunteer participation.

That does not mean that I don't take this WG's work seriously or am unaware of
the aggressive work schedule -- my participation in every call since the WG was
convened speaks to that. I intend to participate in every future call unless
unavoidable client work or other commitments prevent that.

I will also be responsive to inquiries when I think I have something meaningful
to add. At this early stage I really can't estimate the division of my time
between monitoring and active participation -- it depends on how things develop
as we get into the details (although those who have worked with me in other
ICANN contexts know that I am not shy about expressing myself).

So, again, as a consenting adult volunteer I trust that my participation will
speak for itself -- I just don't support setting the precedent of requesting
participants in ICANN WGs to undertake formal commitments regarding the degree
of their participation.