ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

[gnso-irtpc] updated - Mp3 / IRTP C PDP / 04 September 2012

  • To: "gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtpc] updated - Mp3 / IRTP C PDP / 04 September 2012
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 13:02:33 -0700

Dear all,

The next IRTP C sub team meeting is scheduled on the Wednesday 05h September
2012 @ 1300 UTC. Normal meetings will resume next week.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) C
working group call held on Tuesday 04 September 2012 @ 1400 UTC

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-irtp-c-20120904-en.mp3

on page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar#sep

The transcript will be posted on the same page.

The contents of the AC chat can be found at the bottom of this email.

Attendees:
James Bladel -RrSG co-chair
Michele Neylon - RrSG
Roy Dykes - RySG
Avri Doria - NCSG co-Chair
Angie Graves - CBUC
Kevin Erdman - IPC
Hago Dafalla - NCUC
Barbara Knight - RySG
Phil Corwin - CBUC
Mike O'Connor - ISPCP
Rob Golding - RrSG
Simonetta Batteiger - RrSG
Alain Berranger - NPOC
Volker Greimann- RrSG
Jonathan Tenenbaum - RrSG

ICANN Staff:
Berry Cobb
Glen de Saint Géry
Nathalie Peregrine

Apologies
Bob Mountain - RrSG
Chris Chaplow - CBUC
Paul Diaz - RrSg
Matt Serlin - RrSG
Marika Konings

IRTP C Members:
Alain Berranger
Simonetta Batteiger
James M. Bladel
Chris Chaplow
Phil Corwin
Paul Diaz
Roy Dykes
Avri Doria
Hago Dafalla
Kevin Erdman
Rob Golding
Volker Greimann
Oliver Hope
Zahid Jamil
Bob Mountain
Michele Neylon
Mike O'Connor
Matt Serlin
Jonathan Tenenbaum
Barbara Knight
Rob Villeneuve
Jacob Williams
Angie Graves

Archives: http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-irtpc/
Wiki Space: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsoirtppdpwg/Home

Kind regards,

Nathalie Peregrine
GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Room Transcript - 04 September 2012

  Berry Cobb:IRTP Part C WG Meeting - 4 September 2012

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Rob Golding has joined the call

  Simonetta Batteiger:I did not mean to say there is no use for them

  Simonetta Batteiger:They're used in the dispute process, but  if you read
what their wording is, it does not at all apply when a registrant changes

  Barbara Knight-RySG:I agree Simonetta but I think that we need to also take
into consideration that the IRTP was not intended to govern a change of
registrant.

  Barbara Knight-RySG:Hence the FOA would not contemplate the change of
registrant

  Rob Golding (Othello):We already expire EPP/Auth codes, and I already
mentioned that FOA's became pointless when registries went to EPP - it was
replaced by the auth code

  Simonetta Batteiger:@Rob: can you explain this again?

  Simonetta Batteiger:@Michele: do you really "exchange" FOAs?

  Simonetta Batteiger:I think you only use Auth Codes, right?

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Avri Doria has joined the call

  avri:Apologies for being late - got delayed at a Drs appt.

  Simonetta Batteiger:no, that's not what I'm saying...

  Rob Golding (Othello):transfer-process: 1. unlock the domain, 2. get epp
code, 3. submit details at new registrar, 4. registrar sents to registry (by
EPP, which validates the EPP), 5. magic happens

  Rob Golding (Othello):so in reality the FOA is the EPP key

  Michele Neylon:gaining and losing registrars send notifications

  Michele Neylon:notification => FOA

  Rob Golding (Othello):never understood why *gaining* registrar sends emails
to registrant, as registrant is the one "orderin"g teh transfer and providing
the EPP code

  Barbara Knight-RySG:Registries do not have any visability into the FOAs
unless a dispute is raised.

  Rob Golding (Othello):registries *trigger* the FOA's by telling the
losing/gaining registrars about the transfer request

  Simonetta Batteiger:Somebody said in Prague, that FOAs predate EPP codes, and
have since in essence become obsolete...

  Simonetta Batteiger:they used to be required to get a transfer done

  Simonetta Batteiger:that's no longer true since the introduction of EPP codes

  Simonetta Batteiger:but they're still in use due to them being required in
IRTP

  Bladel:And because legal=types don't trust EPP codes?

  Simonetta Batteiger:significance is one thing - their actual use another...

  Mikey O'Connor:and inclusion in policy

  Simonetta Batteiger:I think making the language applicable to both use cases
(registrar transfer only, and registrant transfer, too) would be what I would
think should be done...

  Rob Golding (Othello):yes, losing registrar FOA shoudl be kept

  Simonetta Batteiger:FOA as notification tool that needs a confirmation step
(at some point) is not a bad idea

  Simonetta Batteiger:but that in essence makes the EPP code the transfer
authorization password, while the FOA is more of a notification/confirmation
step

  Rob Golding (Othello):@mikey - No! Let's not mix change of regitsrant and
change of registrar. Please.

  Mikey O'Connor:the puzzler is identifying the registrant Rob.

  Mikey O'Connor:it's relatively easy in thick WHOIS registries -- much harder
in thin

  Volker Greimann:try identifying the registrant when he has given you
incorrect information ;-)

  Rob Golding (Othello):Isn't that the job of the current registrar ? And my
own opinion is that we shoudl all have thick-whois for all tlds

  Simonetta Batteiger:@James: I liked your summary attempt - maybe we can type
this up from the transcript?

  Berry Cobb 2:I can take that action Simonetta

  Barbara Knight-RySG:I agree with 30 days as well

  Mikey O'Connor:30 is fine here

  Rob Golding (Othello):30 days for gaining registrar

  Michele Neylon:30 works for me

  Simonetta Batteiger:there was a comment against uneven times

  Simonetta Batteiger:so I would not pick 45

  Rob Golding (Othello):losing registrar FOA of 5 days (ISTR the registry
auto-naks the transfer request or auto-acks it at 5 days anyway)

  Volker Greimann:i like 60 since it lines up with the post-transfer transfer
lock

  Simonetta Batteiger:so 30 or 60 sounds like it will be better...

  Rob Golding (Othello):i need to drop-off call for a few mins, will remain in
chat

  Mikey O'Connor:this is the problem in the thin registry only -- we don't know
if the registrant has changed

  Simonetta Batteiger:right, but then there is a requirement for a new FOA
anyway

  Simonetta Batteiger:and that could be "given" by the new registrant

  Volker Greimann:why don't we Mikey? The whois is updated in case of a change
of registrant...

  Volker Greimann:thick registry or thin, the onöy difference is where the
whois data is kept

  Volker Greimann:only

  Simonetta Batteiger:need to drop off soon...

  Mikey O'Connor:this is also back to the "no reliable way to exchange
registrant information" problem that the thick WHOIS drafting team will be
wrestling with

  Mikey O'Connor:my hand is up to plead with people to join the use-case call
tomorrow

  Simonetta Batteiger:what time?

  Simonetta Batteiger:I'm really booked tomorrow...

  Michele Neylon:Mikey - can you email us details?

  Simonetta Batteiger:I have a conflict. :-(

  Simonetta Batteiger:need to drop off now...