ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] Documents for today's meeting

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] Documents for today's meeting
  • From: Victoria McEvedy <victoria@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:38:48 +0100

Further to our call last week, some of the documents I was referring to are 
below. I also have some questions.


1. The feedback from UDRP providers at 
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/udrp/udrp-final-issue-report-03oct11-en.pdf .See 
the comments on locking at: NAF pp.54-55, 75; ADNDRC p.61; CAC p.68.

1.    2, There was constituency out reach on locking and statements are at 
gnso.icann.org/drafts/final-report-irt-policy-09apr08.pdf . See pages14, 20-22.

2.      3. More recently and more importantly I note there was also 
constituency outreach during the IRTP Part B PDP 
gnso.icann.org/issues/transfers/irtp-b-final-report-30may11-en.pdf . The issues 
that IRTP Part B Policy Development Process addresses include:

d. Whether standards or best practices should be implemented regarding use of 
Registrar Lock status (e.g., when it may/may not, should/should not be applied);

e. Whether, and if so, how best to clarify denial reason #7: A domain name was 
already in "lock status" provided that the Registrar provides a readily 
accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the 
lock status.

And the following questions were asked of Constituencies:

a)      Whether standards or best practices should be implemented regarding use 
of a Registrar Lock status (e.g. when it may/may not, should/should not be 

b)      Whether, and if so, how best to clarify denial reason #7: A domain name 
was already in 'lock status' provided that the Registrar provides a readily 
accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the 
lock status.

See pages 8,26-27 and as to the outreach pages 30 and 31:

"The public comment period ran from 14 September 2009 to 5 October 2009. Seven 
(7) community submissions from six different parties were made to the public 
comment forum. ....A summary of all comments can be found here: 
http://forum.icann.org/lists/irtp-b/msg00007.html. The public comments on this 
forum are archived at http://forum.icann.org/lists/irtp-b/.

6.2 Constituency / Stakeholder Group Statements

The Constituency Statement Template was sent to all the constituencies and 
stakeholder groups. Feedback was received from the Registrar Stakeholder Group, 
the Registry Stakeholder Group, Business and Commercial Users' Constituency and 
the Intellectual Property Interests Constituency....

6.3 Constituency / Stakeholder Group Views

The full text of the constituency statements that have been submitted can be 
found on the IRTP Part B WG Workspace. These should be read in their entirety. 
The following section attempts to summarize key constituency views on the 
issues raised in the context of IRTP Part B PDP. In order to facilitate the 
review of the comments received, the WG developed this analysis grid in which 
the WG's response and views to each of the comments can be found."

4. Indeed it seems the discussion of the desirability of a standardized policy 
on locking continued with 
 . See:

1.      Recommendation #8 concerning the standardization and clarification of 
Whois status messages regarding Registrar Lock status and recommendation; and

2.      Recommendation #9 part 2 concerning a new provision to lock and unlock 
domain names).

These became the subject of Staff proposals:

1.      ICANN Staff Proposal on IRTP Part B Recommendation #8 
http://gnso.icann/org/issues/irtp-b-8-staff-proposal-22nov11-en.pdf ;

2.      ICANN Staff Proposal on IRTP Part B Recommendation #9 part 2 [PDF, 490 
KB] and published these for public comment 


I must say I am confused by the language in the Final Report on IRTP Part B 
Policy Development (as above 
gnso.icann.org/issues/transfers/irtp-b-final-report-30may11-en.pdf ) at page 20

"Recommendations for Issue D

Recommendation #7: The WG recommends that if a review of the UDRP is conducted 
in the near future, the issue of requiring the locking of a domain name subject 
to UDRP proceedings is taken into consideration" (emphasis added).

Given that it was resolved not to look at the UDRP -I assume that our mandate 
can only go to the Recommendation 8& 9 issues?

That is we should not be looking at anything to do with locking and the UDRP at 

Michele-I see that you were the Chair of that WG and that that the Final Report 
was authored by Marika -perhaps you can explain the UDRP exclusion and where we 
are? If this is the case -then I expect we are really looking at the Staff 
Proposals and we should review the existing outreach rather than redo?


I would note that tracking down these documents took me a morning that could 
have been more profitably spent on other tasks. Further, I doubt the above is 

I would also note that I expressly asked in the Charter Drafting Team for this 
WG (and on our last call) for a reading list of relevant material. The 
documents above appear to me to be highly pertinent to scope for the drafting 
of the Charter.


Victoria McEvedy

McEvedys Solicitors and Attorneys Ltd.


T:    +44 (0) 207 243 6122

F:    +44 (0) 207 022 1721

M:   +44 (0) 7990 625 169


Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA No. 
564276. VAT No. 122 3590 43.

Company No. 7786363, Registered Office: 81 Oxford Street, London W1D 2EU.

This email and its attachments are confidential and intended for the exclusive 
use of the addressee(s).  This email and its attachments may also be legally 
privileged. If you have received this in error, please let us know by reply 
immediately and destroy the email and its attachments without reading, copying 
or forwarding the contents.

This email does not create a solicitor-client relationship and no retainer is 
created by this email communication.

From: owner-gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx] 
On Behalf Of Marika Konings
Sent: 03 May 2012 21:59
To: Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] Action items from today's meeting

Dear All,

Please find below the action items from today's UDRP Domain Name Lock WG 
meeting. Attached you'll find the mind map in which I've attempted to capture 
some of the notes of today's meeting. If there is anything missing, please let 
me know.

With best regards,


Action Items

*       WG Leadership: Michele Neylon was nominated to serve as the Working 
Group Chair. Alan Greenberg was nominated to serve as the Working Group 
Vice-Chair. If there are any other candidates, or support for / objections to 
these candidates, please share those with the mailing list prior to the next 
meeting. If there are no other candidates or objections, the GNSO Council will 
be requested to confirm these appointments.
*       Best Practices Paper: Sharing of latest published draft of draft 
advisory concerning registrar best practices to protect registrants upon 
initiation of a UDRP complaint - Please find attached the paper that was the 
basis for the discussion at the Sydney meeting (see 
http://syd.icann.org/node/4051). As mentioned on the call, the paper is broader 
than just locking. The sections that address locking (directly or indirectly) 
appear to be the following:

*       Upon notification of a domain name dispute filed through an ICANN 
Approved Dispute-Resolution Service Provider ("Provider"), the registrar should 
immediately place the domain name on registrar lock to prevent cancellation, 
transfer or changes to the domain name and notify all parties.  In arbitration 
cases, the registrar should subsequently receive a verification request from 
the Provider".
*       A UDRP proceeding commences when the Provider has notified the 
Complainant, the Respondent and the concerned Registrar(s), of the commencement 
of the response period.  During this time, the registrar should not take any 
action involving transfer or cancellation of the domain name until receiving 
direction from the dispute resolution provider of a decision or other 
resolution of the complaint, which could be a withdrawal among other things.
*       If the Provider notifies the registrar of such a suspension and/or 
transfer, then the registrar may transfer the domain name to the Complainant on 
the respondent's behalf but must prevent any further transfer of the domain 
name pending the termination or withdrawal of the proceeding.During this 
period, it is not advisable to allow the registrant access to a mechanism that 
would allow transfer or cancellation of the domain name. In addition, the 
registrar should only accept notification of suspension directly from the 
*       If the registrar receives notice of a termination or withdrawal from 
the Provider, the registrar should immediately restore control of the domain 
name to the agreed upon registrant as stated by the Provider and notify the 
Complainant, Respondent and Provider. The registrar should only accept 
terminations/withdrawals directly from the Provider.
*       Also, upon receiving a communication from a Provider about a UDRP 
complaint, registrars should carefully review all registrant requests to 
transfer domain names subject to the complaint to a different registrant, as 
such transfers may be restricted by paragraph 8 of the UDRP

*       Outreach: Develop questions to obtain input from registrars / 
registries - Matt Schneller has volunteered to develop a first list of questions
*       Outreach: Review proposed public comment forum draft (All)

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature 
database 7110 (20120504) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.


JPEG image

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy