ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] FW: UDRP - Definition of 'pending'

  • To: "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] FW: UDRP - Definition of 'pending'
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 02:04:02 -0800

Dear All,

Please find below the feedback received from my colleagues in the ICANN
Compliance Department in relation to the term 'pendency'.

With best regards,

Marika

============

Thank you for seeking the Compliance team’s opinion regarding the definition of
‘pending’ in the context of the UDRP.  While Compliance may have informally
provided guidance to NAF and others in the past regarding our interpretation of
the term ‘pending’, we are also interested in contract clarity and do not wish
to go on record as providing an authoritative definition of this term.  We
concur with the community that this term is ambiguous and we are pleased that
efforts are underway to clarify the term.
Be advised that the word ‘pending’ appears five times in the UDRP (See
paragraphs 4(f) and 8(a) and (b) – I pasted the relevant paragraphs below for
your convenience).
The definition for ‘pending’ referenced in the transcript below, “from the
moment the complaint has been filed”, could work in the UDRP text at paragraphs
4(f), 8(a)(i) and the first sentence in 8(b), because those references to
‘pending’ are clearly referring to the UDRP process.  However, the
aforementioned definition of ‘pending’ does not work in paragraph 8(a)(ii) and
the second sentence in 8(b) where the text refers to a ‘pending’ court
proceeding or ‘pending’ court action or arbitration.  As you probably know, a
court action or proceeding can be initiated by way of a motion and therefore
the definition “from the moment the complaint has been filed” does not work in
terms of describing ‘pending’ court actions or proceedings. Thus, any
definition proposed must be broad enough to accurately define the word
‘pending’ everywhere it appears in the UDRP.
EXCERPTS FROM THE UDRP
4.f. Consolidation. In the event of multiple disputes between you and a
complainant, either you or the complainant may petition to consolidate the
disputes before a single Administrative Panel. This petition shall be made to
the first Administrative Panel appointed to hear a pending dispute between the
parties. This Administrative Panel may consolidate before it any or all such
disputes in its sole discretion, provided that the disputes being consolidated
are governed by this Policy or a later version of this Policy adopted by ICANN.
8. Transfers During a Dispute.
a. Transfers of a Domain Name to a New Holder. You may not transfer your domain
name registration to another holder (i) during a pending administrative
proceeding brought pursuant to Paragraph
4<http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/policy#4> or for a period of fifteen
(15) business days (as observed in the location of our principal place of
business) after such proceeding is concluded; or (ii) during a pending court
proceeding or arbitration commenced regarding your domain name unless the party
to whom the domain name registration is being transferred agrees, in writing,
to be bound by the decision of the court or arbitrator. We reserve the right to
cancel any transfer of a domain name registration to another holder that is
made in violation of this subparagraph.
b. Changing Registrars. You may not transfer your domain name registration to
another registrar during a pending administrative proceeding brought pursuant
to Paragraph 4<http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/policy#4> or for a period
of fifteen (15) business days (as observed in the location of our principal
place of business) after such proceeding is concluded. You may transfer
administration of your domain name registration to another registrar during a
pending court action or arbitration, provided that the domain name you have
registered with us shall continue to be subject to the proceedings commenced
against you in accordance with the terms of this Policy. In the event that you
transfer a domain name registration to us during the pendency of a court action
or arbitration, such dispute shall remain subject to the domain name dispute
policy of the registrar from which the domain name registration was transferred.