ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-metrep-wg]

RE: [gnso-metrep-wg] GNSO MetRep - Charter - Draft Final

  • To: "'Onorato, Tony'" <tonorato@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Berry Cobb'" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-metrep-wg] GNSO MetRep - Charter - Draft Final
  • From: "Pam Little" <pam.little12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 09:40:56 +1100

I share Tony's concern and have taken the liberty of marking up the latest
version of the draft Charter for your review and consideration.

As I previously commented during one of our calls, the 2013 RAA and the new
gTLD Registry Agreement require contracted parties to collect abuse data and
provide such data to ICANN upon request (see excerpts below). I hope my
suggested edits make sense in light of these new (and onerous) obligations
on contracted parties and the new (and powerful) compliance tools that were
not previously available to ICANN.

Kind regards,

Pam

~~~

2013 RAA

3.18 Registrar's Abuse Contact and Duty to Investigate Reports of Abuse.

3.18.1 Registrar shall maintain an abuse contact to receive reports of abuse
involving Registered Names sponsored by Registrar, including reports of
Illegal Activity. Registrar shall publish an email address to receive such
reports on the home page of Registrar's website (or in another standardized
place that may be designated by ICANN from time to time). Registrar shall
take reasonable and prompt steps to investigate and respond appropriately to
any reports of abuse.

3.18.2 Registrar shall establish and maintain a dedicated abuse point of
contact, including a dedicated email address and telephone number that is
monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to receive reports of Illegal
Activity by law enforcement, consumer protection, quasi-governmental or
other similar authorities designated from time to time by the national or
territorial government of the jurisdiction in which the Registrar is
established or maintains a physical office. Well-founded reports of Illegal
Activity submitted to these contacts must be reviewed within 24 hours by an
individual who is empowered by Registrar to take necessary and appropriate
actions in response to the report. In responding to any such reports,
Registrar will not be required to take any action in contravention of
applicable law.

3.18.3 Registrar shall publish on its website a description of its
procedures for the receipt, handling, and tracking of abuse reports.
Registrar shall document its receipt of and response to all such reports.
Registrar shall maintain the records related to such reports for the shorter
of two (2) years or the longest period permitted by applicable law, and
during such period, shall provide such records to ICANN upon reasonable
notice.

New gTLD Registry Agreement, Specification 11 (PUBLIC INTEREST COMMITMENTS)

b.      Registry Operator will periodically conduct a technical analysis to
assess whether domains in the TLD are being used to perpetrate security
threats, such as pharming, phishing, malware, and botnets. Registry Operator
will maintain statistical reports on the number of security threats
identified and the actions taken as a result of the periodic security
checks. Registry Operator will maintain these reports for the term of the
Agreement unless a shorter period is required by law or approved by ICANN,
and will provide them to ICANN upon request.