ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ccc]

[gnso-osc-ccc] Document Management

  • To: <gnso-osc-ccc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ccc] Document Management
  • From: "Chris Chaplow" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:30:25 +0100

Hi all,

Thanks to the ICANN web staff for demonstrating the current test website and
the background and Document Management vs. Website issues.

It is interesting to note that in the team charter goals the "Improve the
GNSO's document management capacity" was initially a goal and then
downgraded (agreed by us last week) to come under the Website requirements.
I am trying to think back to the rationale for this.   Was it alignment with
board's recommendations?   If so in "Summary of Board Actions -Attachment A"
is not so black and white.

On one hand Document Management is such a major topic in its own right
which is probably why staff have pulled it out in as a problem in The "ICANN
board recommendations draft checklist", but the recommendation and action
items underneath do not appear to address this problem.

It is worth noting that the CCT has perhaps a more difficult task of setting
the boundaries than other work teams. I say this because a close examination
of the LSE report, and the BCG WG and the Sharry and others make many
references to "communication". We have to decide what issues to focus on and
what to ignore as passing mentions. The public and constituency comments are
not very enlightening. Lots of agreement that communication and website must
be improved but not much on substance or detail. On the subject of
constituency reorganisation by comparison there are lots of detailed
proposals and submissions.

I expressed caution earlier on the blind use of the checklist. There are
many other minor 'communication' issues mentioned in the reports that we
should either acknowledge and include in our report scope or acknowledge and
discard.

I agree with Mason that I recommend "we use this to manage our work, rather
than create a separate (and duplicative) plan document" but I think we all
need to examine it carefully along side the reports, update it or not, and
above all be comfortable with it as a starting point.

With best regards,

----------------------------------
Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucía.com S.L.
Avenida del Carmen 9
Ed. Puertosol, Puerto Deportivo
1ª Planta, Oficina 30
Estepona, 29680
Malaga, Spain
Tel: + (34) 952 897 865
Fax: + (34) 952 897 874
E-mail: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.andalucia.com
Information about Andalucia, Spain.

Please think of the Environment before you print this email