ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ccc]

[gnso-osc-ccc] Agenda for today's call

  • To: "OSC-Communications Work Team" <gnso-osc-ccc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ccc] Agenda for today's call
  • From: "Mason Cole" <masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:21:46 -0700

Greetings team -

I just returned last night (very late, unfortunately) from a short
vacation so am scrambling to get caught up.

I have a short agenda to propose, but meantime let me summarize where we
left off in our meeting in Sydney as a way to be sure all of us are on
the same page:

The overarching problem our team is addressing

Too many people and organizations impacted by domain name policy /
ICANN's work are unaware of ICANN itself and its work.  ICANN needs a
better way to solicit feedback from these people.

Questions we're trying to answer

*       How do we make these people aware of ICANN's impact on them and
of their need to participate?
*       How do we make it easy for the "uneducated" to do that?

Early answers to these questions (but need more specificity)

*       Better articulation of what ICANN actually does
*       Better distribution of ICANN's messages
*       Careful explanation / use of acronyms
*       More translation and localization

The ICANN web site

Issues are currently being tracked by general main ideas.  A better
approach may be to track them by what's being said about them.

There's a usability study under way now that is scheduled to complete by
end of year.

Task statuses

Summary of Discussion Points from Sydney:

1.  Subgroup Updates

--Task 1 and 2: The subteam completed the Business Requirements document
and Mason agreed to share it with the OSC.  As a next step, the subteam
will meet with Marc Salvatierra to take the document to the design
level.

--Task 3:  Helen and Zbynek engaged in a conference call meeting with
Christina Rodriguez of ICANN staff to better understand current
localization/translation efforts.  This meeting generated useful ideas
for addressing localization for the GNSO in a consistent manner.  The
subteam also met to discuss ideas on how to get better feedback.  One
idea is to create a forum or website for Registrants/Registrars to link
to their sites on a voluntary basis using an ICANN logo as a link.
Discussion included concerns that ICANN needs to reduce the use of
acronyms and ensure that these are uniformly defined.  Helen and Zbynek
agreed to meet in Sydney to discuss next steps.

--Task 4: Mason has been engaged in identifying problems, determining
what is already being done in ICANN, and what needs to be done.  In
addition to the recommendations Mason is developing, he also will
consider Ken Bour's suggestion concerning codes of conduct for ICANN
blogs/public forums and Chris Chaplow's suggestions for better
communications at meetings.

Action Items:

Tasks 1 and 2: Website requirements and document management (Steve,
Chris, and Ken)

--Mason will share the Business Requirements document with the OSC for
review/consideration

--The subteam will meet with Marc Salvatierra to take the document to
the design level

Task 3: Soliciting meaningful feedback (Helen and Zbynek)

--The subteam will meet in Sydney to discuss next steps

Task 4: Improve Coordination with ICANN Structures (Mason)

--Mason will complete his analysis of what is being done already in
ICANN and what needs to be done

Agenda for today

1.      Call to order
2.      Approve minutes from June 21 meeting
3.      Review task status, agree on next steps
4.      Set deadline for first draft of comprehensive recommendations
document
5.      All other business
6.      Adjourn

Please let me know if there are other tasks to add to the agenda.  Talk
with you all shortly.

Mason

Mason Cole

VP Communications & Industry Relations

-------------------------------------

Oversee.net

(503) 459-5702

mcole@xxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not
the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not
accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your
data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or
transmitted with, this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.