ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] OSC-CSG Work Team Work Plan Task 1, Subtask 1

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OSC-CSG Work Team" <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] OSC-CSG Work Team Work Plan Task 1, Subtask 1
  • From: "Julie Hedlund" <jahedlund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 15:40:31 -0400

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] OSC-CSG Work Team Work Plan Task 1, Subtask 1Chuck,

Michael suggested that to assist with this discussion it might be helpful to
see the language from the BGC Report that formed the basis for the Board's
recommendations.  Here is some relevant language from the report.  I have
underlined the language that related most closely to the checklist and the
workplan details.

Thank you,

Julie

Relevant References in the Board Governance Committee (BGC) GNSO Review
Working Group Report on GNSO Improvements

6. Recommendations re: Constituency Structure, 6.2 Steps to Improve
Effectiveness, p. 42, para. 4 and 6, and p. 43 (full page):

"For many who might be interested in ICANN's policy discussions, another
barrier is the myriad of different ICANN processes which can be hard to
understand and follow.  At present, each constituency has a different set of
membership and operating processes, and it is difficult for an individual to
have a quantifiable impact on the policy process other than through a
constituency.  These problems are magnified for those who are not
comfortable working in English.  One solution is for each constituency to
have a clearly communicated set of participation rules and operating
principles that are based on common principles developed by the GNSO.  These
rules then should be made available in a variety of languages so that they
can be understood by ICANN's global audience."
[.]

"There are a number of specific areas that must be addressed.  The first is
the need for constituency-developed participation rules for all
constituencies that encourage openness, transparency and accountability.
The rules must adhere to the following principles:

  a.. The criteria for participation in any ICANN constituency should be
objective, standardized and clearly stated.
  b.. Admissions decisions should be transparent, including how these
decisions are communicated, and how many applicants are successful.
  c.. General information about each participant application and decisions
regarding admissions should be publicly available.  Each constituency must
keep records of successful and unsuccessful applicants.
  d.. Each constituency should maintain up-to-date records of all current
members, and this information must be publicly available.
  e.. There must be a clear avenue of appeal for an applicant rejection to a
neutral third party.
"In addition, the GNSO constituencies, with Council and Staff participation,
should develop clear operating principles for each constituency to ensure
that all constituencies function in a representative, open, transparent and
democratic manner.  These should reflect common principles and follow these
guidelines:

  a.. Mailing and discussion lists should be open and publicly archived
(with posting rights limited to members;
  b.. Procedures for developing policy positions should be clear and include
publicly available information about how many participants from each
constituency were involved in the development of any policy position;
  c.. Constituency processes should encourage participation from
stakeholders across the globe and, where possible, relevant documents should
be available in multiple languages;
  d.. There should be term limits for constituency officers, so as to help
attract new members and provide everyone with the change to participate in
leadership positions; and
  e.. There should be an emphasis on reaching consensus to achieve
objectives and closure on issues.