ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Draft 2- Subtask 1- SS

  • To: "victoria@xxxxxxxxxx" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Harris <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OSC-CSG Work Team <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Draft 2- Subtask 1- SS
  • From: Claudio Di Gangi <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:34:43 -0400

All,

I have been out of office so have not had a chance to review this extensively,
but at first glance it appears most, if not all, of my concerns remain.

On style, I find the tone still quite negative. In particular, I do not support
admonishing constituencies or SGs in this report, even on a generalized level.
That specific SGs have been singled-out on issues I think is incendiary and
unnecessary. More importantly, I do not believe the assertions are supported by
the facts in these areas.

In sum, i read these recommendations to require all GNSO groups on almost every
important element regarding how a group might function, organize, and represent
its stakeholders - to all do so in the same manner & under the same procedures
and format. To me, that is the antithesis of a bottom-up multi-stakeholder
model.

Certainly there are topics and rules where commonality across the groups is
beneficial, and we received specific recommendations to implement from the BGC.
But I think these areas of commonality are limited in scope, and while we
strive to develop further recommendations, we should keep in mind the diversity
of the GNSO while doing so. Forcing diverse groups serving different interests
to all follow the same rules and procedures on virtually all matters would
cause much more harm than good in my view.

Can share more particulars tomorrow.

Claudio