ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] Re: Request for Information on the Regulation and Reporting of ICANN Staff

  • To: Victoria McEvedy <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Re: Request for Information on the Regulation and Reporting of ICANN Staff
  • From: Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:04:03 -0700

Victoria,

Thank you for your email. Since you have indicated that the concerns,
questions and information requests contained in your email below are
made in the context of the Constituency Operations Work Team's report,
I also have copied the WT.

It seems that most of the issues you raise regarding Staff employment,
reporting and accountability are not within the charter of this WT,
which was created to essentially recommend to the Council "tools"
Constituencies and Stakeholder Groups need to improve inclusiveness,
effectiveness and efficiency.  The WT was asked to consider items such
as outreach for participation, Constituency guidelines, and basic
administrative, operational and technical services.

If the WT would like to suggest that ICANN provide Secretariat or
other Staff support for all Constituencies and it is in this vein that
you've asked questions about who Staff report to and how they relate
to Constituency members, I can provide some basic information.  The
GNSO's Secretariat (Glen) and other Staff supporting the GNSO are
ICANN employees.  They support the GNSO's policy development
activities and report to me, as head of ICANN's Policy Department.
ICANN employees do not report to, nor are they "employed" by, any GNSO
volunteer, company, or constituency.  Staff supporting the GNSO work
very closely with GNSO volunteers to support GNSO activities in a fair
and balanced manner.

Separate from this WT effort, if you, or any community member, would
like information about Staff employment contracts, rules, etc., please
see ICANN's Documentary Information Disclosure Policy (DIDP) at
<http://www.icann.org/en/transparency/didp-en.htm>.  The DIDP is
intended to ensure that information contained in documents concerning
ICANN's operational activities, and within ICANN's possession,
custody, or control, is made available to the public unless there is a
compelling reason for confidentiality.

Again, separate from this WT effort, if you, or any community member,
has a concern or complaint about Staff, including potential
inappropriate or unprofessional behavior, I encourage you to contact
ICANN's Ombudsman regarding this matter at
<http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/>.  The Ombudsman's function is to act
as an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) office for the ICANN
community who may wish to lodge a complaint about a staff or board
decision, action or inaction.  The Ombudsman will act as impartial
officer and will attempt to resolve complaints about unfair treatment
by ICANN using ADR techniques.

Please let me know if the WT requires any further assistance.

Thank you for volunteering your time for this important endeavor.

Regards,
Denise

Denise Michel
ICANN Vice President