ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] Action Item: Task 1, Subtask 1 Section 2f -- Response from ICANN Legal

  • To: gnso-osc-csg <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Action Item: Task 1, Subtask 1 Section 2f -- Response from ICANN Legal
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:48:19 -0800

Dear Work Team members,

With respect to Action Item 1 from last Friday’s call, we have consulted with
ICANN legal staff seeking guidance concerning the language for Section 2
paragraph f and have received a response and suggested language from Dan
Halloran and Samantha Eisner.

Here is the original language:

“f. In case of rejection of an application or a dispute, the applicant shall
have recourse of appeal to a neutral third party. The GROUP shall SELECT such a
neutral third party in consultation with ICANN/GNSO {???}.”

Here is Samantha’s response:
---------------- begin response ------------------------
“We consulted with John, and agree that the proper reference here is to the
Office of the Ombudsman.  The Ombudsman is a neutral and has jurisdiction over
allegations of unfair treatment by ICANN constituent bodies.   I recommend that
to facilitate this, the language of the recommendation be changed to:

“f.    In case of unfair treatment resulting in the rejection of an application
or a dispute, the applicant may lodge a complaint with the ICANN Ombudsman.
The process for lodging a complaint with the Ombudsman is set forth in Article
V of the ICANN Bylaws and in the Ombudsman Framework, available at
http://www.icann.org/ombudsman/documents/ombudsman-framework-26mar09-en.pdf. “

Best regards,

Julie