ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 26 March 2010 Meeting - Open meetings discussion

  • To: "Robert Hoggarth" <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>, "Papac, Krista" <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Victoria McEvedy" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Rafik Dammak" <rafik.dammak@xxxxxxxxx>, "Julie Hedlund" <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 26 March 2010 Meeting - Open meetings discussion
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:11:46 -0400

Very helpful reminder Rob.  Thanks.

Chuck

________________________________

        From: Robert Hoggarth [mailto:robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:05 PM
        To: Papac, Krista; Gomes, Chuck; Victoria McEvedy; Rafik Dammak;
Julie Hedlund
        Cc: gnso-osc-csg
        Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Actions/Summary: 26 March 2010
Meeting - Open meetings discussion

        Dear All;

        Via email or during the next call, Olga, Chuck or Rafik may like
to share some of the discussions that took place regarding "open"
meetings during the GNSO Council operations procedures deliberations.  I
think the meeting matters raised in those discussions are germane to the
challenge of how to ensure that other organizational meeting are also
open and transparent.

        I recall the Council discussion addressed community expectations
for addressing both transparency goals and management of organizational
resources.  As I recall, the consensus expectation was that ALL Council
meeting matters and discussions needed to be available to the broader
community but that electronic real-time attendance created logistical
and resource issues that needed to be considered (e.g., the costs and
logistics of having "open" meeting attendance during telephonic
meetings).  As a result, the procedures approved by the Council in Seoul
distinguish in-person meetings from other types of Council meetings
(e.g., telephonic ones) (see Section 3 of the GNSO Council Operating
procedures -
http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/gnso-operating-procedures-clean-12nov09-e
n.pdf).

        I believe the general consensus that resulted in the current
procedures was that so long that agendas were produced in advance of
meetings (notice of subject matter to be discussed) and that
transcripts, or minutes or recordings of calls were subsequently
produced for community review then the letter and spirit of "openness"
was preserved.

        As additional technological resources become available, this
"electronic" attendance matter may need to be revisited.  For example,
some of the remote participation tools we used in Nairobi (chat rooms,
virtual Adobe Connect meeting rooms, etc.) could be extended over time.
Of course the introduction of those resources depends on the
availability of organizational resources (e.g., costs and staff
management/secretariat availability). That last area is a topic that
Glen, Julie and I are currently studying in the context of the "toolkit"
of Constituency and Stakeholder Group services that the Council approved
in December.

        Hope this helps the conversation.

        RobH

        On 4/1/10 11:18 AM, "Papac, Krista" <