ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] Executive Committee Term Limit Issue

  • To: "gnso-osc-csg" <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Executive Committee Term Limit Issue
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:20:02 -0400

Our discussion on term limits for Executive Committee (EC) term limits
seems to me to be very dependent on what the functions of the EC are.

Here are the functions of the RySG EC:
                                a. Develop meeting agendas;
                                b. Schedule and conduct EC meetings;

                        c. Provide notice of meeting.

                        d. Facilitate Policy Coordination Meetings.

                        e. Manage and Administer Elections.

                        f. Support the GNSO Council and the ICANN Board.

In my assessment of these functions, they are administrative and
coordination tasks, not policy making or even policy approval tasks.  In
fact, the RySG Charter goes on to say the following:  "All members of
the RySG EC will participate in making decisions."  So in our case, the
EC is not able to make any decisions independently of the full
membership.  Therefore, in the case of the RySG, I don't think it
matters at all whether there are term limits for EC members.

Do the ECs of other SGs or Constituencies have different functions that
the ones above.  More particularly, do the ECs have the ability to make
policy decisions without participation by the full membership?  If they,
do, then in my view term limits for EC members may be more important.

Chuck