ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal

  • To: "'GNSO Ops Work Team'" <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:46:37 -0400

Eric,

Welcome to the discussion.  You raise an interesting point that had not been
considered, however the model Julie submitted for our review (prior to going
out to the constituencies for comment) accommodates your concern.  Let me
give you an example using your proposed new constituency; let's call it the
CTC (city TLD constituency).  The CTC is an "aspirant", i.e. it has NOT been
recognized by ICANN at this point, and the existing constituency it most
closely aligns with is the Registry Constituency (RyC).  So the CTC would
take "observer" status within the RyC until such time as it becomes
recognized as a constituency in its own right.  At that point - and only at
that point, as "wannabes" do not have seats at the table until they are bona
fide members of the community - the CTC would then be in a position to seek
its own representation.  "Aspirants" would need to meet some threshold to be
recognized, e.g. they filed their application with ICANN and can demonstrate
some level of support for the app. in order to prevent any loosely organized
group from running amok.

The reallocation of representatives/votes within any SG, as new
constituencies form, is a GNSO-wide issue that could be approached in either
of two ways:  The first approach would be for the broader SG membership to
identify a transparent process and send it up to the Policy Council for a
vote; or the second approach would be to determine a solution at the Policy
Council level, then get buy-in from the larger GNSO membership.

Ultimately, in our WT's proposal that Julie circulated, the Policy Council
needs to undertake an evaluation of how to best deal with issues such as
reallocation of seats/votes.  But, to be clear, the model proposed does NOT
inhibit or preclude anyone's participation in the ICANN process.

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

RNA Partners, Inc.