ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

AW: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal

  • To: <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: AW: [gnso-osc-ops] Action Item: GNSO Ops Work Team First Draft GNSO Proposal
  • From: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:16:19 +0200

All,

to my understanding we're still discussing "high level operational principles"
in order to establish the role of the Council as a "strategic manager of the
policy process".

Ron's initiative for the dialogue and the analysis of the councils present (and
future) workload with respect to policy and administrative issues are highly
welcome as I've expressed during our last call. However I'm of the opinion that
the request for new structures e.g. according to the paper should be set after
a more detailed analysis.

Questions come up like:
-       what is the estimated actual proportion of policy and administrative
workload?
-       Does this proportion justify a separate body?
-       Shall the administrative work done by the council at present remain as
a task for a body on council level or couldn't that been handled by a Working
Team?

Searching for consensus results for these organizational issues would require a
lengthy discussion period (report to the OSC, discussions within the
constituencies, bylaw amendments etc.). At the end of it could be a decision
about structures. We may have a "Policy Council" but still lacking on
"strategic managing characteristica".

So I'm in favour of doing this workload analysis first since everybody has
her/his subjective view on this.

Best regards
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben

Deutsche Telekom AG
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben
Heinrich-Hertz-Str. 3-7
D - 64295 Darmstadt
+49 2244 873999 (Tel.)
+49 2151 5300 5206 (PC-Fax)
+49 151 1452 5867 (Mobil)
http://www.telekom.com

Deutsche Telekom AG
Aufsichtsrat: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Lehner (Vorsitzender)
Vorstand: René Obermann (Vorsitzender)
Timotheus Höttges (stellvertretender Vorsitzender)
Hamid Akhavan, Manfred Balz, Reinhard Clemens, Niek Jan van Damme, Guido
Kerkhoff, Thomas Sattelberger
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 6794
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
WEEE-Reg.-Nr.: DE50478376