ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] ACTION ITEMS: GNSO Operations Work Team 29 April 2009 Meeting

  • To: jahedlund@xxxxxxxxxxx, Ray Fassett <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] ACTION ITEMS: GNSO Operations Work Team 29 April 2009 Meeting
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:31:23 -0700

Thanks for this revised version of the document. However, how do I get the 3 points I raised incorporated into the document?

On point 1 below, It looks like a footnote has been added to say "maybe it could be Stakeholder Group" where it currently says "constituency". But the better approach is to reverse that and use the words "Stakeholder Group" throughout the document and a footnote that says "maybe it could be constituencies". It seems pretty obvious that SG are the way forward, so drafting this document with the alternative in the main text is contrary to what is happening in the restructuring process and will only lead to more confusion with mixing up constituencies and stakeholder groups.

Should I send a red-line version of the document with my proposed edits that were not included in this revision?

Thank you,
Robin

1. This document does not seem to take into account that it is Stakeholder Groups (and not Constituencies) who are selecting GNSO Councilors, etc. in the new GSNO framework.

Since the NCUC as a "Constituency" is dissolving and will be members of the NonCommercial Stakeholder Group, the framework proposed in this document would not give those SG members any input into these proposed new subgroups -- as they will be populated by "Constituency" representatives in the wording of this document).

If we change some of the language in the document to simply say "Stakeholder Group" where it currently says "Constituency", we could fix this problem.

2. I'd like to propose that we delete the phrase in the document that states that "the malicious use/abuse of domain names" is an issue that "needs addressing". While some in the GNSO believe that is something the GNSO should undertake, many do not agree that ICANN should expand its technical mission into this area, so this document should not take a side on that debate.

3. One of the suggested functions of the policy councilors in the proposed document is "considering the need for economic analysis". As "economic" analysis is an important and valid concern for business, it does not adequately capture the concerns of non- commercial users in policy development, so I propose that we add "or other" to this phrase to include the concerns of non-commercial users. So it would instead read: "considering the need for economic or other analysis". (@ top of p.4 and middle of p.3)

That's it.  Thank you!

Best,
Robin