ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

Re: [gnso-osc-ops] ICANN Staff Document on Abstentions

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ops] ICANN Staff Document on Abstentions
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:30:28 +0200

Hi,

Just to add a thought.

While I am rather resistant to the idea of decreasing the denominator for an abstention, I can see the possibility of extreme cases that might warrant it. I like the stringent rules defined by Ken including the requirement for approval by the opposite house in those case where the SG group is not willing to require the vote. I would, however, like to suggest an additional caveat - if the person asking to make an abstention has ever uttered a single word, beyond the expression of their conflict of interest, during the discussions on that topic in either the council or any of its WGs then that abstention must be deemed voluntary.

a.