ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Legal Review Update: Abstentions & Proxy Voting

  • To: "'Ron Andruff'" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ken Bour'" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-ops] Legal Review Update: Abstentions & Proxy Voting
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:41:00 -0500

If I understand correctly, Dan is giving us legal advice that a Conflict of
Interest can't exist because Council reps (different than Board members) do
not have a fiduciary responsibility to ICANN.  Absent such fiduciary
responsibility, there can't be a Conflict of Interest - with ICANN and that
this is by design.  I can accept this legal advice as it pertains to
Conflict of Interest to ICANN.  But this conclusion does not address the
issue - raised to us in Seoul by Kristina Rosette and Steve Metalitz - of a
Conflict of Interest a Council rep may have to the outcome of specific issue
the rep is required (per ICANN by-laws) to vote upon.  This is what we are
trying to get our hands around.  Here's what we need to separate:  Where the
vote takes place vs. where the conflict exists.  The vote takes place at the
Council level.  The conflict exists at the SG level.  Dan is saying (my
interpretation) that by definition a Conflict of Interest can't exist by way
of a voting process at the Council level - at least not one with ICANN.  I
happen to agree with this.

But to Ron's point - and what we heard in Seoul and then again later from
Kristina Rosette and Steve Metalitz - is that a rep can be conflicted as
this pertains to an issue, or the outcome of this issue.  The conflict is
not with ICANN, the conflict is with the issue at hand.  Put simply, the rep
can't vote representing their SG/Constituency - due to a personal conflict -
so they have to abstain.  This is what we are hearing is reality.  And
reality says that in this instance, the abstained vote in effect results as
a "no" vote.  The question is how to remedy the abstained vote from
happening at the Council level?  What can the RoP offer the SG/Constituency
to avoid this?  And after all such methods have been exercised by the
SG/Constituency where the outcome remains an abstention, should the
denominator then be changed?  We all can agree, from previous discussions,
that if we do this right, the instance of changing the denominator should be
very rare.

It seems hard coded to me that each Council rep is allowed only 1 vote.  So,
"proxy" does not seem to me the path of least resistance.  It does seem
reasonable to me to allow an SG/Constituency to name an alternate to vote
when the Council rep informs their SG/Constituency they have a personal
conflict of interest on the issue at hand.  And it seems to me there is some
precedent for use of "alternates" from what Ken has uncovered.

The conflict can't be with ICANN.  I get this.  So it is not ICANN's burden
to resolve whatever this conflict is, right?  So whose burden is it?  I
would say the SG/Constituency.  Our task is to provide to the
SG/Constituency the tools to do so through the RoP that they can invoke when
they feel appropriate to do so, such as when being notified by their rep of
such conflict.

Talk in a few..

Ray

  _____