ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] FW: [gnso-osc] OSC review - GNSO procedures - section 5 statements of interest

  • To: gnso-osc-ops <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] FW: [gnso-osc] OSC review - GNSO procedures - section 5 statements of interest
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:21:11 -0700

------ Forwarded Message
From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 06:23:05 -0700
To: Ray Fassett <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] OSC review - GNSO procedures - section 5 statements of
interest

Ray,

In addition to the comments received from the OSC, the PPSC Working Group Work
Team has just forwarded to me comments received on a previous version of the
SOI/DOI document during the public comment period on the Working Group
Guidelines document.  The Working Group WT has asked that the GNSO Council
Operations WT consider these comments as appropriate.  Some may no longer be
relevant as they may have been addressed in later versions of the document.

If you would like, I can consolidate all comments and forward them to the GNSO
Council Work Team for consideration prior to our meeting next week.

Thanks,
Julie

Chuck Gomes: What is the difference between a Statement of Interest and a
Disclosure of Interest? In the Guidelines, both appear to include “a
declaration of direct or indirect interests that may affect a Relevant Party’s
judgment, or be perceived to affect that individual’s judgment ”. It would be
helpful to clarify this in the document.

INTA: The Committee understands that the GNSO Secretariat will collect the
expressions of interest to participate, verify that the submission was from a
“real person,” and then send a confirmation of receipt with a SOI (a DOI form
may also be required). Therefore, the Committee recommends:
· Taking precautions to ensure that these SOIs and DOIs do not inadvertently
contain confidential personal information. It appears that the SOI and DOI will
be posted on the Internet. (“The GNSO Secretariat shall post all SOIs, DOIs,
any other self-selection disclosures or other related team member documents
that have been received to the WG’s workspace (or alternate).”)
· making the following changes to the Template for the SOI (bearing in mind
that this proposed template is being developed by the OSC GNSO Operations WT):
o “Current vocation, employer and position”
_ Add country/location of the individual.
o With regard to the requirement that the interested person “Identify any
financial ownership or senior management/leadership interest in registries,
registrars or other firms that are interested parties...” and “Describe any
arrangements/agreements between you and any other group, constituency or
person(s) regarding your nomination/selection as a work team member.”
_ State, if accurate, that this information will be kept confidential, and/or
provide examples of recommended language to prevent individuals from disclosing
sensitive information that could potentially expose ICANN to additional burdens
to protect that information.
Consider that these submissions will come from people in many different
jurisdictions with different regulations (some quite onerous) regarding the
protection of sensitive information. Existing SOIs demonstrate that this
information can be and has been provided in general terms.
· Providing a “checklist” that individuals fill in to ensure that a “no”
response is tracked.
A review of existing SOIs shows that not everyone will confirm “they have no
financial ownership interest”.
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/transfers/soi-irtp-a-pdp-oct08.shtml

Registry Stakeholder Group: It is unclear if there is any real difference
between a ‘Statement of Interest’ and a ‘Disclosure of Interest’. Both
documents appear to include “a declaration of direct or indirect interests that
may affect a Relevant Party’s judgment, or be perceived to affect that
individual’s judgment”. Would it be possible for a WG member to submit just one
of these documents or are these documents interchangeable in any way?