ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ops]

[gnso-osc-ops] Revised Chapter 3.0 and Section 3.8

  • To: <gnso-osc-ops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-ops] Revised Chapter 3.0 and Section 3.8
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:43:19 -0400

GCOT Members:

In preparation for tomorrow's meeting, having seen no additional commentary
since the email interchange between Avri and me on 8 May, I took the
following action subject to ratification by the team:

1)      Section 4.4-Absentee Balloting, paragraph 4.4.4, replaced original
sentence with: "Absentee balloting does not affect quorum requirements."

2)      Section 4.5-Abstentions, paragraph 4.5.2-a, deleted the bullet,
"Unavoidable absence beyond the period allowed for absentee voting (where
applicable).

3)      Section 3.8-Absences and Vacancies, added proposed new paragraph:

3.8.5 Any occurrence of absence or vacancy that is not declared in advance
to result in an abstention from voting, as provided in this section, will be
recorded as "Absent" and such action will not reduce the denominator in any
vote tabulation for the affected House.

4)      In both Chapter 4.0 and Section 3.8, eliminated applicability of
remedies (abstention and absence) for voting NCAs.   A number of changes
were required to various paragraphs; please see text for specifics.

Rationale for the above changes is contained in my email response to Avri's
8 May post.  All altered text is redlined, including those edits made from
the 13 April version (per GCOT decision on 5 May).

Ray's goal was to approve these documents on 19 May (the team's last meeting
before 1 June) so that they may be forwarded immediately to the OSC for its
consideration.   It might be possible for them to be considered at the GNSO
Council's 10 June meeting; the deadline for document/motion submission is 3
June, which leaves two weeks or so for OSC review.   If the 10 June session
is missed, the next opportunity for Council consideration will be in
Brussels.

If you have any questions or would like me to perform any additional work on
these two documents, please let me know.

Ken Bour