ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15

  • To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:39:11 -0400

In reviewing Philip's suggested changes again, I found another possible
concern about the procedures.  Note the following with particular
attention to the text I bolded:

""b. Proxy Voting

The second remedy is the use of proxy voting, where the vote of an
abstaining Councilor is transferred to another GNSO Councilor.

i.                     For abstentions declared by Councilors not
appointed by the Nominating Committee the appointing organization may
transfer the vote of the abstaining Councilor to a Proxy Holder being:
(1) the House Nominating Committee Appointee, or (2) another of its
Constituency Councilors, or (3) another Councilor within the Stakeholder
Group."

"ii. If an abstention is declared by a House NCA, once formal
notification has occurred pursuant to the procedures in Paragraph
4.5.4-a, a proxy is automatically transferred to the GNSO Council's
unaffiliated NCA (hereinafter Council NCA) . . ."

"Mutiple proxies. A GNSO Councilor is not permitted to be a Proxy Holder
for more than one vote for any specific motion. An appointing
organization may appoint more than one Proxy Holder. The first
abstention remedy transferred to the Council NCA takes precedence. "

According to these procedures, any appointing organization or any voting
NCA may transfer a vote to the Council NCA.  In the case of Councilors
not appointed by the NomCom, there are other options besides the Council
NCA, but in the case of the house NCAs, they only have one option: the
Council NCA.  Moreover, if a vote has already been transferred to the
Council NCA, there is no option left for the house NCAs.

I believe that one of the solutions I proposed earlier also solves this
problem: give the house NCAs the additional option of transferring their
vote to another Councilor in the applicable house.  This seems to be a
very simple solution as well.

Chuck