ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] PEDNR study from Tatiana Khramtsova

  • To: masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mason Cole)
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] PEDNR study from Tatiana Khramtsova
  • From: Tatyana Khramtsova <htp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:13:50 +0400 (MSD)

According to Mason Cole:

> Tatyana --

Mason,

> That is interesting -- thanks for sharing your data.
>
> I have heard on a few occasions that resellers are in focus as a
> potential problem area.  I would like to know more about that,
> including:
>
> - What, specifically, do resellers do with regard to post-expiry names?
> - What is the scope of this behavior?
> - What has already been done to address any potential issue?
>
> If resellers are indeed an area of focus as suggested, this information
> would be helpful to my understanding of a possible problem.

Registrars make resellers responsible for client's domain renewal.
There are a lot of cases then reseller did not renew client's domain name.
In Russia Registrars usually send messages about expired domains and
renewal necessity to resellers not to client, so the client does not know
the situation.

Usually resellers have their own client accaunt at Registrar system.
So they know very well the part of registered domain name market,
they can take part in auctions by themselves or on behalf of clients.

A lot of natural person partners are big players in the second domain name
market.

Partners take also ext. money for services that are obligatory for Registrar and
free for direct Registrar's client.

As for me there are no exact minimum rules for resellers how they should work.
Every Registrar develops its own agreement with reseller, he tries to find all
potential problem situation but it is almost impossible.

We as a Registrar interact with our reseller's clients by ourselves regarding
some
critical questions to control the situation.

As I know some Registrars do not interract with the clients only
transfers them to the reseller.

--
Tatiana Khramtsova
E-mail: htp@xxxxxxxx