ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Definitions...

  • To: <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Definitions...
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:57:10 -0400

I had volunteered to try to define the term we will use for the entity who held a domain name just prior to exiration.

In mid-term, the RAA uses the term "Registered Name Holder" and in conversation, we tend to use the term "Registrant" to denote the entity that the Registrar believes has acquired the domain name and the information which is put in the appropriate Whois database.

I suggest that the above definition be refined if necessary, and that for the purposes of this PDP, we use the terms "Registered Name Holder" and "Registrant" interchangeably.

I further suggest that we prefix either term with the word "Original" to denote the Registrant at the time just prior to expiration. It has been suggested that "original" might be referring to the entity that registered the name in the first place (potentially several years ago), but for the purposes of this discussion who held the name in the very first place is not particularly relevant.

There have been some reports that (particularly for web-hosting resellers), a domain name is never put in the name of the entity that requested the name (despite there being no proxy-type agreement), and we may need to come up with terms that address this situation as well.

Alan