ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Update on Compliance's audit of registrar websites (fees for recovering domain names in RGP)

  • To: "gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Update on Compliance's audit of registrar websites (fees for recovering domain names in RGP)
  • From: William McKelligott <William.McKelligott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:35:55 -0700

Dear members of the PEDNR WG:

To clarify Compliance's audit of registrar websites to determine if information
was made available to registrants concerning any fee charged for the recovery
of domain names that are in redemption grace period:

- The non-compliant registrars were those that operate a website for
registration or renewal of domain names and did not provide the information
required by the EDDP.
- A number of registrars that do not appear to transact the registration or
renewal of domain names on their website provided the information anyways
(contained in the registration agreement and posted on their website), despite
the fact that a potential registrant would have to work through a reseller to
actually register a domain name with that registrar.  Those registrars have a
similar website with limited content.  Again, these registrars were not counted
as being non-compliant.

William A. McKelligott
Auditor, Contractual Compliance Team
1875 I (Eye) Street, NW, Suite 501   Washington, DC  20006   United States of
America
P (202) 429-2709
F (202) 429-2714
M (310) 409-9763
william.mckelligott@xxxxxxxxx
Skype: wmckelligott

Did you know? ICANN is responsible for the global coordination of the
Internet's system of unique identifiers. These include domain names (like .com,
.uk, and .jobs), as well as the addresses used in a variety of Internet
protocols. Computers use these identifiers to reach each other over the
Internet. Learn more at http://icann.org