ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'PEDNR'" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] "Competition" in the Secondary Domain Name Market
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 15:32:10 -0400

I am speaking here on my own behalf and not as Interim Chair.

I tend to agree with much of what you are saying regarding the original intent (to the extent that we can do this) and the current situation where a registrar of record has an advantage over others regarding expired names. Whether this is a reasonable result of the marketplace and innovation, or a problem that must be resolved is certainly a subject that might encourage lively debate.

But, assuming that the present WG comes up with effective ways of ensuring that a registrant does not lose a registration without sufficient cause, I am not yet convinced with how much this is really helping the RAE.

If a name has perceived value based on the semantic analysis, it will be picked up by SOMEBODY, even if it is deleted by the original registrar. So the situation to the registrant is the same.

A more interesting case is if the name has value based purely on the traffic it receives. In such a case, the perceived value is only known to the registrar who intercepts traffic to that domain during the post-expiration period. In that case, the original registrar is going to be highly motivated to try to pick it up after the drop. This could be prevented by forbidding intercept (that is, pointing the DNS to their own web pages).

So to have any effect, one would have to forbid transfers after expiration, reverting to the original intent of a domain that expires will be dropped if not renewed by the RAE, with no opportunity to "taste" the domain the expiration grace period.

Is this what you are asking for?

Alan