ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] A Question to the Registrars on the List

  • To: "'Mason Cole'" <masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'James M. Bladel'" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] A Question to the Registrars on the List
  • From: "Michael Young" <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:55:32 -0400

Well better late to the party than never.

Let me share my thoughts.

On the topic of RGP:

I agree that a (much stated) goal of this working group is to uphold the
original intent of the RGP.

The RGP was meant to allow a reasonable last ditch effort to garner the
attention of registrants who have not been minding their domains adequately
in regards to renewals. This is why part of the RGP process was to "darken"
the domain in the DNS; an act which we all surmised would gain the attention
of a distracted registrant who truly wanted to maintain their registration.

On Autorenew and RGP:

When creating the RGP process, it was not considered that the Autorenew
grace period would in practise be used differently than it was at that time.
The AGP was originally meant to get the attention of the registrar that a
domain was expiring by charging them.  Accordingly this grace period was
long enough to allow the registrar to try and collect the owed monies from
the registrant.

Why RGP doesn't do its job anymore,.......

Upon a domain's expiry, some parties are arguing that it is valid for the
holder of the domain name (registrant) to revert back to the registrar or
possibly another third party entity. I am not a lawyer and do not intend to
attempt to take a side in that argument. However, I think we can all agree
that IF the holder of a domain is altered, then it affects the existing RGP
process.

Our primary goal should be, I think, is to recommend a change that ensures
that RGP will work effectively.  I don't think that the protection of the
registrant has to be at the expense of the other interest groups here.

Michael Young

Best Regards,

Michael Young

Vice-President,