ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] To start a bit of discussion...

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] To start a bit of discussion...
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:57:28 -0400

... about the questions that we are supposed to be addressing, I am appending here a summary/extract of some terms that I found on a reseller's web site.

Aside from the details that are obvious, I also make a few observations at the end which may not be as clear.

To be open about it, this is not a random reseller, but one that I have dealt with a number of times and to the extent that I have needed registrar/reseller services, they have been reasonably responsive, so I have no particular axe to grind. To their credit, their registration agreement is easy to find, a situation I found is often not the case with resellers (as I found out when I started looking for examples).

The reseller web site gives no indication of who they are a reseller for, gives no paper mailing address and no telephone number - or at least none I could readily locate.

Since I am not trying to attach a particular reseller not their registrar (registrars actually, since they have two that I am aware of), I have not included those details. I can do that if the group generally agrees, but for the moment, I have sent those details to Marika who, if asked, can critique my powers of summarization.

------------------------

Reseller may revise terms conditions and services provided and all such changes are binding. Changes are effective immediate or on notification by e-mail. Registrant agrees to review the resellers web site and agreement periodically to be aware of revisions.

Registrant is responsible for remembering when registrations expire. As a convenience but not as a binding agreement, reseller MAY send an e-mail message when renewal fees are due.

Renewal after registration is $5 more if "name has not been deleted from reseller's registration database".

After expiration and before registry deletion domain name may be pointed at a parking page or a search engine with advertisements and the reseller may leave the WHOIS information intact, or may change it.

Reseller may or may not choose to participate in any post-expiration domain name renewal/redemption. If they do chose to provide such a service, there will be additional fees that reseller will determine.

Registrant agrees that expired domain names may be made available to be registered or re-registered to any party at any time.

AG Comments:

- Agreement/services may change with no notice at any time.
- May send one reminder. Or not.
- $5 fee statement is in apparent conflict with "fee to be determined".
- Last statement about "registering or re-registering" to any party at any time is a confusing use of term register/re-register and seems to be in conflict with the earlier expression "deleted from the reseller's registration database". - I have had one domain with them expire (deliberately) and true to their semi-commitment, they sent out 1 notice about 15 days before expiration. This was a few years ago.

Alan