ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"

• To: gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Whois Output from "Thin Registry"
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:09:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Michael D. Palage wrote:

Expiration date is included in thin registry output.

---snip---

Updated Date: 07-apr-2005

Creation Date: 07-jul-1998

Expiration Date: 06-jul-2014

yes, an "expiration date" is included in whois responses...

but if that Expiration date were to say 20-sep-2010 (and Network Solutions asked me to help them know their registration status ;-) ) then on this date, 22-sep-2009, i could not tell them that their domain was ok, because it might in reality have just expired and that although the domain's DNS servers are working today, i can't assure the registrant that they will be working tomorrow.

isn't it reasonable that whois (thick and/or thin) unambiguously tell everyone (both the registrant or a registrant's advisor and the general public as well) the actual state of the registration?

and that the registrar's and/or reseller's web page also display the actual state of the registration?

this is not to say that the installed whois mechanisms have this capability, nor that it would be trivial to implement changes. but i do want to point out that the current system is not transparent and does not give the registrant "opportunity" to properly monitor and inform himself/herself to take action to recover a domain which has just expired.

-ron

Ron Wickersham

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy