ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] cost of recovery during Registrar grace period.

  • To: "Sivasubramanian Muthusamy" <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] cost of recovery during Registrar grace period.
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:12:46 -0700

First, I agree with Michele that any discussion of ccTLD expiry
practices and policies is well outside the scope of this WG, and
possibly ICANN in general.  As he mentioned, ccTLDs set their own rules
(although some have participatory policy development organizations of
their own), and even -if- we were able to influence their behavior, I'm
confident that registrars (and registrants) have a laundry list of ccTLD
quirks and oddities that they'd like to change.  In the absence of this,
registrars continue to manage this patchwork of rules & policies for all
g/cc TLDs they offer, and (wherever possible) make this as seamless as
practical for registrants.

With respect to recovering names in gTLDs, registrars incur costs of at
least two forms:  First, the registry will assess a fee, which can be
significantly higher than the usual Create, Transfer, Renew charges.
Second, the recovery process is more difficult to automate, and requires
human involvement, resulting in increased resource / staff costs for the
registrar.

J.