ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Post expiry domain email functionality.

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] Post expiry domain email functionality.
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 19:23:55 +0530

Dear Michelle

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight <
michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25 May 2010, at 11:31, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I asked some Google Executives if there could be a technical solution
> from an external service provider such as Gmail to the post expiry domain
> email situation. The question was sent by email with a copy to Olivier
> Crepin Leblond of ISOC England / Euralo.
> >
> > While he doesn't find the commercial prospects for the external service
> provider convincing, his response points to the fact that technically there
> is a definite way out of the problem.
>

> So who is going to pay for it?

Definitely not the Registrars. It it takes it will take shape as a service
for which the Registrants will pay or it will be a service offered on a
neo-Interent-business model by a company such as Google or MSN or it will be
an ICANN supported service by a third party.

> > It is not necessary to abruptly discontinue email service in a post
> expiry situation.
>
> Until you can answer the key question about who is going to pay for it then
> it is going to be necessary
>
> Just because it's technically "possible" doesn't render it viable and the
> email exchange clearly supports the view that we have all been promoting for
> months. It makes MORE sense for the registrant to simply renew the domain
> name in a timely fashion.

I agree that it makes more sense for Registrants to renew their domain names
in time. But I am concerned about those Registrants (even if they are a
smaller proportion) whose domain names expire unnoticed.

> Also your suggestion in this email exchange suggests that ICANN would
> somehow want to get involved with an "icann owned or icann-assigned server"
> (sic) is disturbing.
> Do you even understand what ICANN's role is in all this?

What is wrong if I want ICANN to get involved in an ICANN owned or
icann-assigned server? It is not disproportionately expensive and it is a
direct service to domain Registrants about whom ICANN is supposed to care !

> > The email exchange is attached as a PDF for the committee to act upon
> futher.
>
> What committee?.

Sorry, I meant WG. This PEDNR WG

Sivasubramanian M