ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Cleaning up the data

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Cleaning up the data
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:01:31 -0500

hi all,

i wandered through the responses to our survey and culled out about 50 of them
that had so little ID info that i couldn't tell who the people were.  i bet
that in many cases, the people are just trying to preserve their privacy, but
went a little bit overboard.  i've attached my effort (mostly for Berry who's
doing the heavy lifting on the data-crunching) -- the highlighted ones with
"x"s are the ones i decided to throw out.

my review was *really* informal -- i left people in if i felt like i could
track them down if i really had to.  so if they put in a first and last name,
or an email address, or a first name in one field and a last name in the next
field they made the cut.  i threw out "clearly bogus" ones, or ones where i
didn't feel like i could figure out who they were with a little research.

i didn't cull people just because they didn't put in an email address -- we
didn't make that field mandatory on the questionnaire and we asked them to
enter if only if they were willing to have us contact them with followup
questions.  i knew a lot of the "non-email-address" people personally.  :-)

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com