ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Chat from 05 October 2010 PEDNR call

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Chat from 05 October 2010 PEDNR call
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:54:49 -0400

Marika Konings: PEDNR WG Meeting - 5 October 2010
Alan: Hello all. I am honored!  Two staff people!
Margie Milam: Hi- I wont be on the call- just making sure everything is ok with adobe connect.
Alan: And I appreciate it!
Alan: Where is retreat being held?
Margie Milam: Hi Alan, it's Marika. My computer is in for repairs. We are all in MDR (Marina del Rey)
Alan: Ahh too bad - hoped it was somewhere interesting...
Margie Milam: would have been nice, especially since the weather is just awful!
Alan: Unusually for us recently, it is delightful here!
Alan: Everything looks fine here, and I am now on phone conference (along) and all seems fine.
Alan: (alone) that is.
Alan: I assume you will be on Skype if we have someproblem?
Alan: that was to Marika
Margie Milam: I don't have my computer here, so I'm not on skype. You can reach me through the chat here though. Gisella is also on in case there are any issues with the call. Paul Diaz: Didn't ICANN promise some kind of ''seal'' for registrars that signed the 2009 RAA? It was supposed to help make some distinction among registrars (at least those who signed the new version of the RAA and those who were sticking with the old) Paul Diaz: Or did they drop that concept because it was too hard to develop standards? if true, that may be telling Margie Milam: Paul- we will look into the ''seal'' issue with the Services Department.
James Bladel: Best Best Practice
James Bladel: Or ''better practice''
Mikey O'Connor: Beware... long post to follow
Paul Diaz: good point, the RAA sub-team A doc is ''Registrant Rights & Responsibilities'' (i.e., it's a 2-way street) Mikey O'Connor: A best practice is a technique, method, process, activity, incentive, or reward that is believed to be more effective at delivering a particular outcome than any other technique, method, process, etc. when applied to a particular condition or circumstance. The idea is that with proper processes, checks, and testing, a desired outcome can be delivered with fewer problems and unforeseen complications. Best practices can also be defined as the most efficient (least amount of effort) and effective (best results) way of accomplishing a task, based on repeatable procedures that have proven themselves over time for large numbers of people.A given best practice is only applicable to particular condition or circumstance and may have to be modified or adapted for similar circumstances. In addition, a ''best'' practice can evolve to become better as improvements are discovered.
Mikey O'Connor: That definition is from wikipedia and the RAP WG final report
Mikey O'Connor: here's the recommendation from the RAP final report (unanimous consensus by the way) Mikey O'Connor: ''The RAPWG recommends that the GNSO, and the larger ICANN community in general, create and support structured, funded mechanisms for the collection and maintenance of best practices.''
James Bladel: zzzz---what?
James Bladel: :)
Paul Diaz: you're a very bad man, Mikey ;-)
Paul Diaz: should we skip a week?
Mikey O'Connor: James and Cheryl have announced that they're going to be playing with each other...
CLO: Bye