ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] For your review - Updated recommendations

  • To: "Alan Greenberg" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "PEDNR" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] For your review - Updated recommendations
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:55:46 -0500

In the interest of keeping things interesting, I cannot support the
addition of "explicit" to Recommendation #4.  When did ICANN get into
the practice of (re)interpreting contract law?  I'm not even sure if my
company will support Recommendation #4 in general (I've asked my counsel
for input), but am completely against including verbiage that tries to
regulate what a registration agreement can or cannot contract between
two private parties.

I also oppose the addition of "Through either Policy or Compliance
Advisory" to Recommendation #5.  An Advisory does NOT carry the weight
of Consensus Policy.  In fact, ICANN has issued ill-conceived advisories
in the past, and has either had to back-pedal or simply ignore their own
advice.  ICANN is supposed to be a bottom-up policymaking organization:
I do not want to confer rulemaking authority to the Staff.

A nit: we need to be careful about typos, especially misuse of key terms
like "register," "registrar," and/or "registrant" (see Rec 5 below).