ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] RE: The agenda

  • To: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, te@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] RE: The agenda
  • From: Jordyn Buchanan <jordyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:15:16 -0400

Hi Greg:

I'm a little concerned we're about to go down the rathole that I just
suggested I'd like to avoid, but let me be a bit clearer.  There's
obviously bounds on the powers of the GNSO--one obvious example is
that the "picket fence" limits the applicability of consensus policies
to existing registry and registrar contracts.  Similarly, the GNSO
can't create policies about ccTLDs or addresses.  But the bounds on
the power of the GNSO are almost entirely uninteresting to the policy
v. implementation debate, because implementation is simply the
application of the adopted policy.  Something that isn't within the
powers of GNSO to adopt as policy doesn't become acceptable once we
move on to actually implementing the thing.  So my point is that, when
correctly acting within the proper scope of its policy remit, the
Council itself draws much of the line between policy and
implementation by choosing how they specify a policy.

Back to topics that are actually within our remit as a drafting team:
although I personally agree with you that a lighter weight process for
non-Consensus-Policy would be a useful I don't think we want to force
the WG to come up with something like that--the objective that Chuck
and I suggested was just to identify what the process for
non-Consensus-Policy should look like rather than expecting that it
ought to be different than the PDP.

Jordyn