ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

RE: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] Updated version of Policy & Implementation WG Charter - Holly's comments

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] Updated version of Policy & Implementation WG Charter - Holly's comments
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:11:23 +0000

Alan,

You make some excellent points in a very articulate manner. I agree that the
"entire current policy vs implementation debate (can) be a red herring" and I
think it is therefore important that the charter help the WG avoid that.  I
also think that you are right on in saying, "to the extent that implementation
is making decision which have substantive impact on what the final product does
or how stakeholders are impacted, we need to maintain the MSM".  I think it is
true that "at some level "implementation" is really just that, the details and
mechanics of moving something from a piece of paper to reality" and that may be
a good start in defining implementation, but it is critical that the MSM
continue throughout that process.

Finally, with regard to your last paragraph on policy staff involvement, I
wonder if another question we should add to the charter is the following or
something like it:  "Should policy staff be involved through the implementation
process to facilitate continuity of the MSM process that already occurred?"

Chuck