ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

[gnso-policyimpl-dt] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation DT meeting -01 July 2013

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation DT meeting -01 July 2013
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:01:31 -0700

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Drafting Team teleconference is yet to be
determined.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Drafting Team
call held on Monday 01 July 2013 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20130701en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>jul

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Holly Raiche - ALAC
Cheryl Langdon-Orr - ALAC
Mike O'Connor - ISPCP
Jill Titzer - RrSG
Kristina Rosette - IPC
Jordyn Buchanan - RrSG
Greg Shatan - IPC
Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC
Wolf Knoben - ISPCP
Chuck Gomes - RySG
Tim Ruiz - RrSG

Apologies:
Eduardo Diaz - ALAC

ICANN staff:
Marika Konings
Lars Hoffman
Berry Cobb
Mary Wong
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/wiJ-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Monday 01 July 2013:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the Policy & Implementation DT call
on the 1st July 2013

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:For roll call, I am here but may not be able to establish
microphone

  Mike O'Connor:start recording?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:new provider  does this one  just record like ADIGO  does?

  Tim Ruiz:Just joined.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:They start automatically

  Kristina Rosette:I'm here, but am dialing in for audio.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Will add Tim and Kristina to the attendance list

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:PLEASE  do IT  today...

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Jordyn Buchanan has joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Greg Shatan has also joined the call

  Mike O'Connor:and Chuck!

  Mike O'Connor:Marika has her hand up

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Than works Marika\

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ref to the Manual

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:unable to clear agree - working on it

  Greg Shatan:It would be far bolder to disagree with yourself....

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:true Greg  but  think of the strugle to 'win the point'
after that never pretty

  Mike O'Connor:how about "consistent"?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:would  reproducable be clearer language

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  or consistent

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:trying to agree to consistent but check mark won't go

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:SHould we say "existing and possible alternatives" to PDP
in 1. of Objectives?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry I have no microphone capability, but in one it says
"possible"

  Tim Ruiz:What would the "existing" alternatives be?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Yes

  Marika Konings:@Tim - exactly, there are no defined alternatives at the
moment, only ad-hoc processes

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:The sentence is already not grammatical.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:This is making it less so.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I just have the impression that there are other
mechanisms being used as it is, although not well defined.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Here's a stab:  Provide a clearer understanding of both
the potential goals and end states of policy development mechanisms, including
possible alternatives to the PDP.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:@Jordyn how about ending the end  to replace including
with 'as well as possible'

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:That's fine.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Just trying to break it into two separate thoughts.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Provide a clearer understanding of both the potential
goals and end states of policy development mechanisms, as well as possible
alternatives to the PDP.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:that's fine.

  Tim Ruiz:I'm ok Jordyn's alternative and Cheryl's change.

  Tim Ruiz:See subnote 1. I think that clarifies it a bit.

  kristina rosette:Lost my internet, which crashed my computer so have been on
phone with our Help Desk.  Where are we?  (Cant' tell from screen.) Thanks.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:discussing  language for point 1 Objectives @Kristina

  kristina rosette:@Cheryl: thanks!

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I think that is what I was referring to when I asked
about "existing alternatives".  Not everything requires consensus policy. Are
we talking about new processes for arriving at consensus policy or just Policy
Guidance alternatives?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I agree Jordyn footnote ie essential to understanding and
WG output  would be advisory only for future  work options

  Mike O'Connor:somebody's typing with their mic turned on

  Mike O'Connor:really loud

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Important when analyzing alternatives to distinguish
between consensus policy and policy guidance

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed @Anne

  Tim Ruiz:@Kristina - we are Obj & Goals item 1

  kristina rosette:Thanks, Tim.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:@Greg indeed, we should try not to structure the charter
in a way that requires future generations of PDP.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:That guarantees we won't see an actionable outcome for
~years.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Chuck's suggestion is fine with me, too.

  Tim Ruiz:Sounds good tool.

  Tim Ruiz:I mean too.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:"and any alternatives to the PDP for development of
consensus policy" ?

  Tim Ruiz:Sounds to me like we are al saying pretty much the same thing, but
in different ways.

  Tim Ruiz:@Anne, no. See the footnote 1.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:That's the opposite of what we want, no?

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:We specifically want something that doesn't develop
consensus policy.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:The only way to develop consensus policy is through the
PDP.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I actually thought Anne was tryng to reinforce what the
footnote said ... must have misread

  Tim Ruiz:I was more or less just going to say what Marika just said.

  kristina rosette:possible processes through which policy that is not
consensus policy may be developed

  Tim Ruiz:@Kristina, exactly.

  kristina rosette:can we say that?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:why nit use thos words @Kristina\

  Tim Ruiz:I think that's what it says, if taking the footnote into account.

  Mike O'Connor:the mad typist has returned

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Okay  so it should be clear that any alternatives WG is
looking at should not be directed at "consensus policy" and that is why some
are "existing" unless we want to say the WG should examine possible By-Laws
amendments for different ways of developming consensus policy

  Mike O'Connor:how about Chuck's

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  must be read with footnote

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Cant get mike to work or hand to go down

  kristina rosette:Provide a clearer understanding of the the potential goals
and end states of the PDP, as well as possible possible processes through which
policy that is not consensus policy may be developed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:stepping away

  kristina rosette:oops.  shouldn't be two possibles

  kristina rosette:or two thes.  sorry

  Tim Ruiz:God, I hope not.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:AGree with Kristina's draft

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Please all remember to mute your laptop microphones as we
are getting quite a lot of background noise from the AC room audio

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:We just have to make it clear that "alternatives" does
not mean alternatives to consensus policy.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Chuck's : Provide a clearer understanding of the PDP and
any alternatives to the PDP.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Grr.

  Marika Konings:@Anne - the footnote would clarify that

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:I cut stuff out.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Provide a clearer understanding of potential goals and end
states of the PDP and any alternatives to the PDP.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:That's Chuck's for real.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Chuck - it does not make it clear that WG is not
supposed to develop alternatives that require consensus policy development

  Tim Ruiz:Times Up!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:is it just me or has Holly's voice faded soft again?

  Mike O'Connor:and Greg's

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Only after the working group has gone on for several years
can anyone claim to be exhausted.

  Mike O'Connor:wow!  nitpick award of the day!  :-)

  Tim Ruiz:Example versus namely could be important, but I agree that here it
is namely.

  Tim Ruiz:5.b. talks about "flavors"

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup

  Tim Ruiz:I prefer vanilla

  Tim Ruiz:Another footnote?

  Mike O'Connor:ok by me

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:agree with Chuck's recommendation now that I understand
the intent

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Consensus Policy == definition in the Bylawys

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:Results in binding changes to registry and registrar
contracts.

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:So we're talking about "Consensus Policy" not "consensus
policy"

  Jordyn A. Buchanan:What options are available for policy (Consensus Policy or
other) and implementation efforts and what are the criteria for determining
which should be used?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:go with it

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Last call to list  with  a less than 48 hrs  time stop
though  or you might have the Wed call  still needed and us nit knowing until
last moment

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:36 hrs works better  with global time zone consideration
Holly  IMO

  Tim Ruiz:Just FYI, I will not be in Durbin.

  Marika Konings:As a reminder the deadline is 7 July for submission.

  Chuck Gomes:Thanks for leading us Holly. :)

  Tim Ruiz:Thanks Holly!

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thank you Holly.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks all... hope to not talk Wed but you never
know..otherwise  sed some of you in Durban

  Mike O'Connor:way to go Holly

  Tim Ruiz:Thanks Marika!