ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 05 March 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 05 March 2014
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:06:46 -0800

Dear All,

Please note that the next Policy and Implementation Working Group
teleconference is scheduled for Wednesday 12th March 2014 at 21:00 UTC

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 05 March 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140305-en.mp3

 On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Philip Marano – IPC  )

Michael Graham – IPC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

J.Scott Evans – BC

Greg Shatan – IPC

Tom Barrett – RrSG

Nic Steinbach – RrSG

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC

Tom Barrett Encirca - RrSG

Wolf Knoben – ISPCP

Amr Elsadr –NCUC

Chuck Gomes – RySG

Olga Cavalli – GAC

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Apology:

Becky Burr - RySG

Chuck Gomes - RySG

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie Peregrine

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 05 March 2014:

  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group meeting
of 5 March 2014

  Olga Cavalli:Hi ladies!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi all

  Mary Wong:Hello!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Hello!

  Marika Konings:Hello all

  Wolf Knoben:Hello all

  jscott:On with operator now.  Hope to be placed in call soon

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Hi everyone!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi Anne

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Tom Barrett has joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Michael Graham has joined the call

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry I have not had time to read these yet due to work.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Amy Bivins has joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Phil Marano has joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Amr Elsadr has joined the call

  Amr Elsadr:Dialling in now.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi Amr were just discussing the part A of our Principles
doc... And Anne has asked some 'expanding questions

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Cheryl. Apologies about being late.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:+1 to @Chuck.  sort of seperation of 'church and state
from my POV

  Nic Steinbach:have to step away breifly

  Olevie:Hi everybody

  Olevie:I've joined on AC without audio

  Michael Graham:What specific governance issues, Anne?

  Mary Wong:Hi Olevie, you should be able to have audio in AC unless you're
having bandwidth issues. The loudspeaker icon at the top of your screen should
show green.

  Olevie:@Mary : Thank you to assist me. The loudspeaker icon is green but no
sound. Surely a bandwidth problem. I'm living in Aafrica ;-)

  Michael Graham:Do we need limiting language to make clear that we are only
dealing with GNSO policy and implementation development and carrying out?

  Marika Konings:The Bylaws state that: Section 10. Implementation of Approved
PoliciesUpon a final decision of the Board adopting the policy, the Board
shall, as appropriate, give authorization or direction to ICANN staff to work
with the GNSO Council to create an implementation plan based upon the
implementation recommendations identified in the Final Report, and to implement
the policy. The GNSO Council may, but is not required to, direct the creation
of an implementation review team to assist in implementation of the policy.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:apparently so Michael Though IMO the task to the WG
outlines and de limits all that

  Marika Konings:That quote comes from Annex A from the ICANN Bylaws

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:all the DO's. do POLICY

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:should read SO's

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks Marika and Cheryl and Alan.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks Marika.   we might need to later note in an output
of this WG a list of all r

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:evant Bylaws I guess

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:a glossary of resource links sorts

  jscott:bless you

  Amr Elsadr:@Alan: Thanks.

  Michael Graham:Nice point, @Alan

  Amr Elsadr:@JScot: +1 :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:a nice point and a useful once for a robust governance
model IMO

  Michael Graham:@Cheryl I would agree -- no super-clarification necessary.
However, . . .

  Olevie:I'm off the lien on my phone again

  Olevie:I need I dial out

  Olevie:i'm back again; thank you

  Olevie:the mine is not good

  Olevie:i'm cut off

  Amr Elsadr:hyphenated.

  Olevie:yes

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Olevie, the operator is keeping an eye on your line and
has been since the beginning of the call, it just takes a few attempts to get
your line

  Olevie:ok Nathalie

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes the trend is heading to not hyphenate

  Amr Elsadr:No objection.

  Michael Graham:Perhaps we could suggest as a principle some "accepted
spellings" for GNSO use -- e.g. "Multistakeholder rather than
Multi-stakeholder".  ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:@Alan: Good point.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:exactly @alan

  Olevie:multistakeholder or multi-stakeholder ?

  Olevie:@Michael: what's the good spellng from  now please ?

  Mary Wong:Consider adding "overall" before the words "policy process"?

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:lets not hastily make any changes here.

  Amr Elsadr:I am leaning more towards an earlier suggestion to ADD development
to "policy process".

  Amr Elsadr:to make it "policy development process".

  Michael Graham:or "policy and implementation processes"?

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: review of implementation plans based on the PDP is a
mandate stated in the PDP manual

  Michael Graham:We're just a bunch of whilst and crazy guys!

  jscott:Why is Implementation Process captialized?

  jscott:or "Processes"

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: +1

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:exactly  @chuck

  Amr Elsadr:@Anne: but to what end?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:RElatinship between a Supporting Organization and a Board
of Directors of a Corporation

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:to answer one of@anne's question Yes this WG *is* limiting
its work to GNSO ot all ICANN Policy at least as I understand it otherwise it
would need to be a CCWG :-)

  Marika Konings:An Implementation Review Team is not necessarily limited to
GNSO community members only (at least those that have been established to data
contain any member interested from the original WG that developed the PDP
recommendations)

  Amr Elsadr:@Cheryl: I don't know about that. The way I see it is that the
only policy we're talking about is ICANN policy, because GNSO policy
recommendations don't become policy until they are ratified by the BoDs. I
guess what we're trying to address is "ICANN gTLD policy". :)

  Marika Konings:Tom, could you please repeat the additional princple you
mentioned?

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:If the ICANN Board/Staff accept a GNSO policy but elect
an impledmdentation that differs from what the GNSO intended, then the ICANN
Board or staff are obligated to provide a rationale to the GNSO before
proceeding.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sort of says the same thing IMO @Amr gTLD Policy is the
remit

  Marika Konings:@Tom - Thanks!

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:yes  - I dropped off sorry - reconnecting

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:What is the current recommendation?  I do like "advocate"

  Michael Graham:I agree with @jscott -- the WG can then consider how and what
steps may be taken -- confirm that implementation is as intended, etc.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup [ square ] brackets

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: no objection to further discussion.

  Michael Graham:@Amr/Chuck FYI I agree that the involvement of SO should
include ensuring that implementation is as intended.  It is only the language
of the Principle that I was concerned by.

  Amr Elsadr:@Michael: Yes, I understand. What we disagreed on is weather to
include the language in the principle or not. :)

  Amr Elsadr:@Alan: You cut the line!! :)

  jscott:I am going to have to jump off now.  Will we pick up here in 2 weeks?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:we will have to @j Scott

  Michael Graham:Are we getting into Policy Regarding Board Approval of GNSO
Policy Proposals"?

  Michael Graham:Can we meet next week?

  Amr Elsadr:@Michael: +1

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:@chuck,  I think this is similar to the principle I
proposed earlier

  Michael Graham:Is there another day next week to meet?  Or time?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ok for the 19th

  Marika Konings:How about one hour later next Wednesday otherwise?

  Marika Konings:after the finance call?

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:+1

  Amr Elsadr:Not sure about the 19th!!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:do a doodle

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ok for 2100 next week

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika: If you mean next week, then yes.

  Marika Konings:@Amr - yes, correct

  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes, 2100 UTC on Weds 12 March

  Amr Elsadr:Great. I prefer that to the 19th.

  Marika Konings:Yes, we are talking about next week, right?

  Michael Graham:3/12 at 2100 -- Good.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:until next week then...Thanks all

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:thanks chuck

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye