ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 06 August 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 06 August 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:32:44 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 13th August at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 06 August 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140806en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140806en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#aug>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#aug

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Greg Shatan-IPC

Jonathan Frost-RySG

J Scott Evans - BC

Klaus Stoll-NPOC

Avri Doria-NCSG

Amr Elsadr-NCUC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Apologies:

Michael Graham - IPC

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 06 August

Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group Meeting
of 6 August 2014

  Klaus Stoll:Hi Terry

  Klaus Stoll:Bit early, clocks on the beach are early

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Klaus, not a problem. How fun, joining from beach

  Klaus Stoll:Outer Banks, not a bad spot

  Jonathan Frost:Good afternoon folks

  J. Scott Evans:I am dialing in now

  J. Scott Evans:I swear I am on my way.  I had old dial in.  :-(

Chuck Gomes:Waiting for operator

  Greg Shatan:Waiting to get in.  3:33 and counting.

  Terri Agnew:I am working with operator

  Amr Elsadr:Summer holidays n all. :)

  Mary Wong:Hi Terri - did we ever figure out what the audio/mic problems
that Don and Volker had at the end of the PPSAI call yesterday?

  J. Scott Evans:I am on hold too

  Mary Wong:(oops sorry all - that was meant for Terri!)

  J. Scott Evans:I apologize to the group for the delay

  Greg Shatan:Thank you. 5:20.

  Chuck Gomes:Got in.  4 minutes.

  Terri Agnew:Apologies for the delay today. We are working with telephone
Vendor on this

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Alan Greenberg

  Alan Greenberg:Be on the bridge in a moment

  Alan Greenberg:listening though

  Avri Doria:voting threshhold means someting other than 50%+?

  Alan Greenberg:Very slow...

  Avri Doria:or are we saying we can start these without a vote at all?

  Avri Doria:ok, got it.

  Amr Elsadr:I had Avri's same question. Are we discussing no threshold of
voting (>50%) vs. with a threshold (like 2/3 of council)?

  Alan Greenberg:3 minutes and waiting.

  Avri Doria:i think Marika explained, without vote.  but is one person
objecting enough to stop it?

  Chuck Gomes:@ Alan:  It took 4 minutes for me.

  Alan Greenberg:In now.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Marika. I thought J. Scott was also asking about Policy
Guidance.

  Avri Doria:voting=bureacracy?

  Mary Wong:@Avri, a vote will also involve scheduling one, time passage
etc. That's one reason why we thought PGP might need one but PIP (more
nimble) might not.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Marika.

  Avri Doria:So as long as someone wants a PIP they get a PIP?

  Marika Konings:No objection is what was suggested

  Marika Konings:like it has been done for previous input efforts such as
ATRT2, Whois RT

  Avri Doria:ok, so as long as one person doesn't want a pip there is no
PIP?

  Marika Konings:I think that is how it has been - if someone objects to a
small group coming together to prepare a possible draft for consideration,
such an effort would not take off (or the person might reserve the right to
object once he/she would see the outcome?)

  Chuck Gomes:The Council is not the only voice for the GNSO.

  Alan Greenberg:What other single voice does it have?

  Chuck Gomes:SGs and constituencies may communicate independent of the
Council.

  Amr Elsadr:The GNSO Council Chair is also the Chair of the GNSO.

  Chuck Gomes:@ Amr:  I do not think that is correct.

  Amr Elsadr:Not the Vice Chairs though.

  Alan Greenberg:Yes, but the COuncil is the instrument to merge those
individual positions into a single one (perhaps not agreed to by all).

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: Hehe. It is. It's in the by-laws!!

  Chuck Gomes:Where?

  Amr Elsadr:Hold on. I'll look it up.

  Chuck Gomes:Thanks

  Alan Greenberg:section 7 of the gnso section:The GNSO Council shall select
the GNSO Chair ....

  Marika Konings:Amr is correct, the Bylaws do say the GNSO Chair...

  Avri Doria:and that is a significant statement

  Mary Wong:As does the GNSO Operating Procedures mostly.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: Article X, Section 3, #7. The Chair is referred to as
the GNSO Chair, while the Vice Chairs are referred to as the GNSO Council
Vice Chairs.

  Avri Doria:but of course, as in London, the SG/C can gather together and
make statements if they wish

  Amr Elsadr:https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/bylaws-2012-02-25-en#X

  Chuck Gomes:Ask any SG or constituency what role the Chair has over their
business.

  Avri Doria:ours, in NCSg, is a god we listen to.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry I am so quite today I am in two calls and AC
rooms at the same damn time :-(

  Avri Doria:CLO, no need to apologize for being quiet

  Chuck Gomes:@ Amr:  If you are referring to Section 8, note that it about
the Council.

  Amr Elsadr:Article X, Section 3, #7. The Chair is referred to as the GNSO
Chair, while the Vice Chairs are referred to as the GNSO Council Vice
Chairs.

  Avri Doria:but the chair elected by the council is the chair of the GNSO.
this indicates the function of the council to repesent the SG/Cs

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: That's the way I read it. As opposed to the Vice Chairs
who are elected by the two "Houses".

  Chuck Gomes:I meant Section 3, not 8.  Section 3 is about the Council.

  Avri Doria:the council of the gnso.

  Avri Doria:it is not ssomething other than of the GNSO and we
arepresentative of our SG/C.

  Marika Konings:You could consider supermajority vote - and then the input
could be considered the consensus view of the Council (noting that there
could be a minority view provided)

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: Yes..., that's true. However, the language in Section
3, #7 suggests a difference between the roles of the Chair and Vice Chairs.
It's repeated, so unlikely to be a typo or anything.

  Amr Elsadr:BTW..., I only brought it up as a response to the earlier
question of who can represent the GNSO. Although I'm not necessarily in
favor of the Chair representing the GNSO without some sort of process
empowering him/her to do so.

  Marika Konings:The Council has at times also responded that it was not
going to be or wanted to provide input

  Alan Greenberg:MArika, correct. And at times it has explicitly said it is
divided.

  Marika Konings:I like that suggestion, Avri, if there is objection, then a
vote would need to take place

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:works for me @avri

  Alan Greenberg:And presumably a simple majority is sufficient.

  Chuck Gomes:A new question: If a vote is requested, does it require a
motion?

  Chuck Gomes:Thanks Marika.

  Marika Konings:We will update the charts with some of the agreements of
today's meeting

  Amr Elsadr:Marika..., was that a question for me??

  Marika Konings:It was more for Alan, but if you have an answer, feel free
to share as well ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:Ah. Sorry. I thought you said it was a question for me. :)

  Chuck Gomes:@ Avri:  Are you saying that the IGO-INGO PDP should be
started over?

  Marika Konings:@Avri - feel free to suggest another name / accronym ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:Alan's got a point. This, I believe, is explicitly described in
this WG's charter.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup go with Marika's option please

  Amr Elsadr:@CLO: +1

  Marika Konings:The default vote is simple majority

  Marika Konings:I think it is defined somewhere, but I'll look it up and
send it to the list (or update if it isn't)

  Marika Konings:Just checked, it is indeed simple majority of each house -
will update that in the next iteration

  Amr Elsadr::)

  Greg Shatan:4.2 Voting Thresholds: Unless otherwise specified in these
procedures or in the ICANN Bylaws, to pass a motion or other action, greater
than 50% of the eligible voters in each House must cast affirmative votes.

  Marika Konings:Except as otherwise specified in these Bylaws, Annex A
hereto, or the GNSO Operating Procedures, the default threshold to pass a
GNSO Council motion or other voting action requires a simple majority vote
of each House.