ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 05 November 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 05 November 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 22:36:56 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 12 November at 20:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 05 November 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141105-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141105-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Greg Shatan - IPC

Michael Graham - IPC

Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Amr Elsadr - NCUC

Apologies:

Avri Doria-NCSG

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

J.Scott Evans - BC

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Karen Lentz

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 05 November 2014

  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group
Meeting of 5 November 2014

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Hi all - on a noisy plane with spotty wifi.  Will just
try to listen  and use chat.  Anne

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:hi all.  still on another call

  Terri Agnew:Thank you Anne and Tom for the updated information

  Mary Wong:It's Guy Fawkes Day, for anyone who's more English-oriented ...

  Terri Agnew:Michael Graham has joined

  Alan Greenberg:It is indeed Guy Fawkes day. TIme for a bonfire tonight!

  Mary Wong:@Alan, yes - that's the best part! :)

  Berry Cobb:I will highlight that the presentexperiences of IRTs with
Thick, UDRP-Lock and IRTP-C fed into the development of the CPIF that was
reviewed with this WG several meetings ago.

  Berry Cobb:My apologies, I'm not dialed into the bridge.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Berry - could you please remind me what CPIF means?

  Berry Cobb:Consensus Policy Implementation Framework.  It is based on the
waterfall model of systems implementation.

  Berry Cobb:It was the graphic and table presented something like three
meetings back.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I thought you were talking about the Implementation
Framework but couldn't remember what the CP was for.  Thanks!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes thanks for linking that Berry

  Terri Agnew:Amr Elsadr has joined

  Amr Elsadr:Really sorry I'm so late. Roads snowed in!!

  Marika Konings:way before my time! ;-)

  Marika Konings:yes, the ones on the list are the 'official' IRTs under the
revised PDP, that does not mean that there were not similar efforts that
took place before that time as mentioned by Karen.

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika:  The "additional outreach" you refer to -- it
seems to me that the Expertise to be sought should be defined by the IRT --
or by the PDPWG in its proposal for IRT?

  Chuck Gomes:Good suggestion Michael to have WG define the expertise needed
for IRT.

  Marika Konings:@Michael - I think it is probably a task for staff, with
input from the IRT

  Marika Konings:as staff may also have expertise inhouse that is used

  Karen Lentz:sometimes once you are in process, you realize there is a need
for another kind of expertise

  Amr Elsadr:In the case of "thick" whois, expertise wasn't explicitly made
to be a requirement, although one of the recommendations might have been
suggestive. It probably would be more constructive to be specific with these
recommendations on PDP WGs.

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika -- Best of all worlds, and reflecting the
respective responsibilities, I would say "a task for the IRT, with input
from staff"  --  with a paranoid eye toward possible Monday Quarterback
objections that since staff is primarily tasked with implementation it
should not also take the lead in determining experts to review its work.
(Apologies for tortured metaphors and paranoia . . .)

  Marika Konings:@Michael - it is not so much experts to review staff's
work, but experts to work with staff to develop the implementation ;-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Karen that point on 'type of expertise' is important
any "guidelines"created re "outside expertise" needs to be flexible enough

  Michael R. Graham:Awww . . . 2 expert classes!

  Karen Lentz:Agree with Cheryl - part of this is being clear on what the
scope is so that you can get volunteers who want to do that as defined - and
generating pride in the results of the group's work

  Chuck Gomes:+1 Karen

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:solo true @karen

  Karen Lentz:Marika's point on lag time is a big challenge

  Michael R. Graham:Could we suggest any "benefits" participation in IRT
might entitle participants to?

  Mary Wong:Yes, it's possible to terminate/suspend a PDP

  Amr Elsadr:Those all sound like pretty good reasons.

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika: Yes. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't mean that one
that is already formed be shut down, but rather one that doesn't attract
members to join it not really be created to begin with.

  Michael R. Graham:Thanks!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye