ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 03 December 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 03 December 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:30:40 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 10 December at 20:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 03 December 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141203-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20141203-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Amr Elsadr - NCUC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Greg Shatan - IPC

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Michael Graham - IPC

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Apologies:

J.Scott Evans - BC

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

ICANN staff:

Mary Wong

Marika Konings

Amy Bivins

Karen Lentz

Glen de Saint Gery

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 03 December 2014

     Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working
Group Meeting of 03 December 2014

  Greg Shatan:Hello, all!

  Amr Elsadr:Hi all.

  Chuck Gomes:Hello

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Hi all

  Greg Shatan:Chuck, still using black as your text color?  That's so 5
minutes ago!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr::-)

  Chuck Gomes:Where do I control the color?

  Greg Shatan:To change chat color, go to the bar at the top of the chat
section (where it says "Chat (Everyone)), go to the far right of that bar
and left-click on the box (the words "Pod Options" will show up when you
mouse over it).  Then mouse down to the "My Chat Color" entry, which will
bring up a menu with different colors.. Mouse down to your desired color and
left click..  Your color will then change when your text is entered into the
chat.

  Marika Konings:This version includes the comments received from Chuck and
Olevie

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Problem is Greg has already "taken" my favourite colour
choice ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Greg!!

  Greg Shatan:Green with envy, Cheryl?

  Greg Shatan:@Amr, my pleasure.

  Amr Elsadr:I was asking for a comparison with a non-PDP WG.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:smaller group approach  YES

  Mary Wong:@Amr, under this process a WG may not even be needed or
appropriate for that particular Input process.

  Amr Elsadr:Although I suppose the council could decide to not follow the
GNSO WG guidelines, right?

  Mary Wong:Correct

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:One wonders why they would @Amr

  Mary Wong:For instance, if a small group of volunteers is the most
appropriate "format" to draft a letter in response to a Board request for
GNSO input on a non-gTLD issue.

  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: Yes. I'm seeing that. Thnx. :)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Examples  WOULD  be helpful

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:You Cheeky to me ???  Never Chuck !!

  Marika Konings:@Amr - could you provide that language again so I can add
it?

  Amr Elsadr:When the GNSO is requested to provide advice by the ICANN board
or any other AC or SO that does not involve gTLD policy.

  Mary Wong:@Amr, how does what we have in the Notes look?

  Amr Elsadr:Looks good Mary. Thanks. :)

  Mary Wong:Thank YOU :)

  Mary Wong:@Amr, we've changed it slightly based on this point that's just
been raised.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Sorry Guys  Mute unmute confusion,   Could have been
wors I guess as I get my husband out of bed and startuing his first day home
after shoulder reconstruction this week ;-(

  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: Still looks good to me. :)

  Amr Elsadr:Anne's point makes sense to me, but I am trying to think about
how gTLD policy may or may not be "consensus policy".

  Amr Elsadr:Are there examples of gTLD policy that are NOT "consensus
policy"?

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Michael Graham

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I agree with @Marika  here the MAY will work and allow
the required (IMO) 'flexibility'

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:That is how I understand it @Chuck YES

  Mary Wong:The GNSO adopts policies by consensus, but that's not the same
thing as Consensus Policy binding on all contracted parties.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: Yes. Thanks.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry my call dropped but I am now in Adobe and on the
call.

  Karen Lentz:Thanks -- I don't have anything to add on that point

  Amy Bivins:Thanks--nothing to add, either!

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:re #3...how about inclkuding the requestor's
affiliation?

  Amr Elsadr:I'm fine with a councillor being required to submit the
initiation request. It could be attached to a motion?

  Marika Konings:Anyone can make a request to the Council, but it is up to
the Council to decide whether or not to use this process or not.

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika: +1

  Amr Elsadr:Agree with Marika on her rationale.

  Terri Agnew:Alan Greenberg has joined

  Alan Greenberg:My apologies. I was working on something else and hadn't
noticed the time!

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Distinguish between "request" which comes first and
"initiation" which comes after the GSNO votes to initiate

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Understand @Marikas rational and agree but ALSO agree
with the 2 sections aproach outlined now by @chuck...   outlining process
etc.,  for a IP => GIP

  Amr Elsadr:@Cheryl: +1

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:should read RIP=> GIP ;-)  damn computer censored me
;-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I wiould use liong for Request for Input (Process)  BTW

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Exactly @Anne ++

  Marika Konings:@Anne - I'll send out a revised version after this meeting
and will look forward to receiving your suggestions on how to further
clarify this.

  Marika Konings:@ Anne - I have already updated the heading per Chuck's
suggestion

  Marika Konings:@Anne - all those groups have staff support

  Marika Konings:and we work closely with our colleagues supporting those
other groups

  Amr Elsadr:@Anne: Not seeing what the trouble with staff support is. Could
you please clarify this?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:May not be a problem if request for input does not
have to have all the bullet point elements.  May not be needed by requestor.

  Amr Elsadr:Agree with Marika again.

  Amr Elsadr:Associating a formal process to request input from outside the
GNSO would indicate that the board/GAC/etc are requiring input using a GIP.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Intent is opposite.  WE want to make it easy for
others to request GNSO input.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Indeed @anne,  so I think Tom's  approach re  material
/ section in the Intro  is so important...

  Amr Elsadr:My point is that other groups should be free to request input
in any form they wish. It is then up to the GNSO council to decide what
process would be used to develop the input by the GNSO.

  Marika Konings:Exactly Amr

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Of course @alan we are trying for flexability AND
predictability in Processes

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agre @Amr

  Alan Greenberg:Chuck see pulldown  at the right of CHAT heading.

  Chuck Gomes:Thanks

  Amr Elsadr:Nice color Chuck. :)

  Karen Lentz:so impressive

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Marika, could you please look at my written comments
previously provided?

  Marika Konings:@Anne - you provided comments on the guidance process

  Marika Konings:I have not seen any comments from you on this one (this one
was first circulated last week)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I am sure I commened on "recommended" versus "Must"
"at a minimum" - same comment here

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thanks all This has been an imprtant discussion... We
are I beleive deffinatly building a better 'model...  Bye all talk on the
10th and on list ...

  Alan Greenberg:We should certainly publicize what we EXPECT!

  Karen Lentz:thank you all

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks you everyoen

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye