ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] New accountability issue

  • To: gnso-policyimpl-wg <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] New accountability issue
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:17:47 +0100

Hi Alan,

I’m forwarding this message from the CCWG-ACCT list to help me ask a question
regarding the issue of public interest in the discussion we’re having on the WG.

I recall you bringing this up on our last call, but can’t seem to pin-point
where in the transcripts. I’m not sure about the context in which this was
raised, but if I’m not mistaken, it was in the context of facing difficulties
with public interest issues during the implementation phase.

When you have the time (I’m sure you’re busy in Istanbul), could you please
make this clearer? I ask this with some thoughts of my own including:

Public interest issues should probably be addressed during the policy
development phase, and not during implementation. If there is a mismanagement
of a policy’s implementation, whether this involves public interest or not, the
IRT should be able to address it and potentially raise the issue to the GNSO
council if a conflict between staff and the IRT persists on the matter.
Public interest seems like a substantive issue to me, and not one primarily
involved with designing GNSO processes. It is also very debatable, and if I
recall correctly, when we were working on the definitions for this WG, didn’t
we have a discussion about this and elected to not include it?

Anyway…, those are my thoughts, but would appreciate clarification. I’m
guessing I didn’t exactly get the whole picture when you raised this issue.

Thanks.

Amr

Begin forwarded message: