ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 13 May 2015

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 13 May 2015
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 21:22:45 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 20 May 2015 at 19:00 UTC for 90 minutes.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 13 May 2015 at 19:00 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-13may15-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpsubYD-2BXOSoZB-2Fwz5y6cRmAMJQMRBGzSq8BrXADrqVvgEk9YYGzWCbl6w6VTrDge90I-3D_QuA5zZR9ZZ7J1F2FeF-2FOsgm1hgIDcBrAX2P7Ezxmql7ckJc4ios1-2BxObAoz2rzLSI3c4QB1NGo7bw7XrBjpRCbz74w4vzk48UxZMFoBBQBQaQ0ePdiOjdJ30sQNHkokOf-2F2p-2FBvMgKvMhzp-2B4u8fP-2BRrSytHe2KCf2HpQmtSbpezMgNTUG57PiORAPesOotpHA-2BC4pSmXJRsVmpbNaLqzmiDrT1pMcUy1w63DdIaAaBq-2FHk7J7BLmK1yw04e-2Bn59bzlpMmTxQm35XkaiGV3QuYd8uXLJzzPh7xB04vGxwawFLFTkAwT0Wd1BkweeR9c9x5GJD6ROLNPyAWZJqPK5P83whyoEUvv-2FLY-2Bi8Bh6x0GeFuoIK86Nhf8jYPD9RWoyFb09dKG7NKXwDRepV32u3szLr-2Ff32MiL9JB-2BNnA0-2B9tuGjeiJeqBzNTY5oOSZBzBog1-2F4d4VaBG4HIh2kGIEz6njqAjw2LUTcInWkFKkCPt7csZnX2dsn5x5-2FrAAE6EW>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr>http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>m<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>ay<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Alan Greenberg-ALAC

Chuck Gomes – RySG

Greg Shatan – IPC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At–Large

Michael Graham - IPC

Tom Barrett – RySG
Anne Aikman-Scalese - IPC

Apologies:

J.Scott Evans - BC

 Amr Elsadr – NCUC

Avri Doria – NCSG
Mary Wong

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Amy Bivins

Karen Lentz

Steve Chan

Berry Cobb

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 13 May 2015

   Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group Meeting
of 13 May 2015

  Berry Cobb:Michael Graham says he will join shortly.
  Alan Greenberg:And we are delight to have Cheryl representing us.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:TOm Barrett has joined the call
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I did say the At-Large Community   Alan  but  maybe  just
Community  will do ;-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I guess I am also a Member of the NCSG  so  foot in
several camps  here...
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Michael Graham has joined the AC room
  Marika Konings:wouldn't that be covered by 'points of view represented in the
GGP Team'?
  Marika Konings:it also notes 'reasons for the proposed action (termination or
suspension)
  Michael R. Graham:Going back to Working Definitions -- Can we remove "that
may be" from 3 -- so it reads "A team formed at the discretion . . . "?
  Alan Greenberg:That is already there
  Michael R. Graham:Right, but my draft includes "that may be" -- which is
procedural, rather than definitional.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:all good
  Marika Konings:I'll be following along on those changes in my version of the
document.
  Michael R. Graham:Apologies -- I jumped the Agenda!
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Variance
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:not SD
  Michael R. Graham:Would it be useful to include shortest/longest periods to
show range?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that would be varience  Michael  sure  IMO
  Marika Konings:@Michael - that is kind of difficult to predict...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:the new xDP's  already show estimate   so if you showed
Variance  for ODP actualll you need onky say estimate  or average/median
(estiate)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ODP  = PDP (actual)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:agree @Marika
  Michael R. Graham:@Marika -- Just refering to range of PDPs
  Marika Konings:It is if the GGP recommendations were adopted by a
supermajority
  Marika Konings:developing bottom-up, multistakeholder consensus
recommendations do not happen overnight ;-)
  Alan Greenberg:@Marika, generally not. but there are cases where they do not
have to take long. in some optimal case.
  Alan Greenberg:We are not promising that any process will only take the
minimum, we are simply showing WHAT that min is.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed the do not  Marika  but perhaos the minimum  they
coiuld  do *is* actually overnight  (here think of production of a GIP  over
F2F  meeting schedule   "overnight'  might be possible...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup agree Chuck   state those limitation factors in the
assumptions
  Marika Konings:@Alan - those rules said many things that were never followed
;-)
  Marika Konings:Between Council and Board vote is a public comment period
  Marika Konings:@Chuck - I can reduce that further
  Marika Konings:and note that in most cases it may be zero?
  Michael R. Graham:...and let Chuck and JScott explain why/how we reached
these numbers.  "educated guesses" all.
  Marika Konings:I can just take out implementation or put it between brackets?
  Alan Greenberg:No, the range covers it. It becomes a mix-and-match selection.
  Marika Konings:that would take quite a bit of work at this stage.....
  Marika Konings:also, the public comment review tool already notes what
changes are being made in response to the comment
  Marika Konings:you can address it when you view the document by unselecting
'formatting' changes
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Ohh  hell YES   Chuck  nit just YOUYr  oet oeive
  Marika Konings:I don't think it is possible to do so for others (or at least
it doesn't seem to work as I did unselect show formatting changes)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Exactly  Alan...
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I too remember those paper  rules '-_
  Alan Greenberg:And for the same reason, we no longer see "This page
intentionally left blank" to ensure that a chapter starts on a right-side page.
  Marika Konings:But the definition of GNSO Policy specifies that it is only a
GNSO Policy after it is adopted by the ICANN Board
  Marika Konings:GNSO Policy is on the next page
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:No problem wit adding the extra clarification oint  asAnne
requests
  Alan Greenberg:If we were doing this over aain, it probably should be "gTLD
Policy" and not "GNSO Policy"!
  Michael R. Graham:"obligatory" is a real awkward word and concept, no?
  Marika Konings:@Michael - I agree, but couldn't think of another word to
replace 'binding'.
  Marika Konings:any suggestions are welcome
  Michael R. Graham:What was the obejction to "binding"?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:correct Alan
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Could we include "obligatory guidance" in the Working
Definitions or "binding guidance"?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:agree Anne
  Alan Greenberg:Next sentence defines it
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:whatever term   not so much  but with the use of Obligatory
  Michael R. Graham:@Anne -- What is "obligatory guidance"?  Guidance that must
be given or Guidance that must be followed?  Just a ferinstance.
  Marika Konings:how about 'guidance that must be considered'?
  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- great point.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:It is already defined but clearer to put it in Working
Definitions
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Agree with that way forward Marika
  Michael R. Graham:No objection -- belt and suspenders okay.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:exactlky
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I prefer  Marikas language  for GGP  section over leaving
it as is  with "obligatiry guidance"
  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- a curse on them, but they really have been helpful
-- and are refered to in other contexts as well.  So . . . dam you, thank you.
  Michael R. Graham:;-)
  Michael R. Graham:@Chuck -- As former English teacher, I agree with
Marika/Cheryl
  Marika Konings:thanks :-)
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I dont' think it is as clear but am yielding to the
English teacher IPC co-chair
  Alan Greenberg:@Michael, yes they were indeed necessary because we were using
words randomly with various people using the same term to mean different
things, but I do believe that we spent too much time creating them, and we are
now spending to much time tweaking them.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry - have to go. Thanks everyone!
  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- Can't argue with that.  Something I do feel
perhaps too often in ICANN discussions.  But if we can do it now, perhaps we
cut down on the afterwards.
  Karen Lentz:thank you
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good  call thanks  all... Talk  next week then
  Amy Bivins:thanks!