ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

[gnso-ppsc-pdp] RE: [gnso-ppsc] Updated interim PPSC work team rules

  • To: <gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] RE: [gnso-ppsc] Updated interim PPSC work team rules
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:57:12 -0800

Thanks Liz.  I have some comments on these.

*         Decision Making:  I would like clarity on the difference between
these two possible judgment calls, to be made by the Chair, as these could
be interpreted equally (in plain English):

o        Rough consensus position where a small minority disagrees but most
agree

o        Strong support, but significant opposition

*         I know we don't want to use the words 'vote' or 'voting', but it
might help to quantify "small minority" and "significant" in percentage
terms.  Also should delete the word "strong" as that is not an objective
term.

*         I might be more in favor of simply merging these two categories,
as we did in the IDN Working Group and Fast Flux Working Group, particularly
if we can't clarify the differences

*         Following those bullets, the text indicates the Chair also will
state whether participants' views "represent the consensus view of their
Constituency."  Assuming the Chair will consider the participant's view on
that question, this is problematic since it can take three weeks or longer
to get anything like a "consensus view" of my constituency, under the Rules
of our Charter.  I believe most other constituencies have formal processes
before declaring a consensus view, as well.  So it probably does not make
sense for this statement to be necessary as to every position, unless we are
going to build in adequate time and process for going to our constituencies
periodically.

Thanks,

Mike

  _____