ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Agenda for Tomorrow's PDP Call

  • To: <Gnso-ppsc-pdp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Agenda for Tomorrow's PDP Call
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:22:43 -0700

The BC is highly unlikely to support discussion or consensus as to any
'interim' solution that only puts off critical issues for later debate, and
meanwhile adopts half a solution supported by half the community.  We should
discuss and recommend our consensus view (if any) of what a PDP should look
like once a complete transition is done, taking into account the many
uncertainties still to be resolved with respect to GNSO restructure.  So we
should avoid discussion of specific voting thresholds, in particular, until
those restructure issues are resolved.

We must continue under the PDP rules that we have, which are generally
understood by all in the community, and which have worked for years --
unless and until we agree on a new set of complete rules to take effect on a
certain date under certain conditions.  It is foolish to try to create an
'interim' set of rules because there is so much uncertainty as to when those
rules would take effect, how long they would be in effect, and indeed what
they should be and why we should have any interim solution.

It is my strong belief that we are not going to reach consensus on an
interim set of rules, and it would be an extreme waste of our collective
time to try to do so.

It is also troubling that this draft is put forward by the Chair of this WG,
who is obliged to remain neutral.  It is very difficult to remain neutral as
to one's own position, and so this proposal can only lessen confidence in
the neutrality of the Chair.

I also echo others' concerns about the Bylaws proposal coming from Staff.
Certainly Staff is trying to be helpful, but I am not aware of any authority
of Staff to make policy proposals of any kind on their own initiative,
especially on such important topics like Bylaw revisions and/or the PDP.
There should have been community discussion of the proposed amendments
before Staff put out any proposal.

Mike Rodenbaugh