ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Consensus Discussion: Additional Thought

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Consensus Discussion: Additional Thought
  • From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:19:49 +0200

On 16 Apr 2009, at 12:57, Tim Ruiz wrote:

One way out of this conundrum is for the chair to
determine a (possibly rough) consensus,

That's precisely what we should avoid. The end result of many of
these WG efforts will be policy recommendations, that if accepted,
will become binding on contracted parties. A PDP of that nature
is more akin to a legistative act than it is to an IETF RFC or a
W3C BP.

One important point in parliamentary processes is that you have a finite set of people on which to count votes. If the your set of votes can be stacked by any sufficiently resourced and determined adversary, precise numbers create an illusion of certainty, but don't actually buy you much.

That's why I emphasized reasoned objections, and the importance of council.

Put differently, the fundamental point here is this point from yesterday's call:

Tim emphasized an important point that any “consensus” policy is enforceable on the contracted parties and those so obligated will want to be sure that any consensus reached was definitive and rigorously defined/enforced. As a result, it may be difficult to get past headcount and numbers if we expect others to be bound to the results.

https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/icann-ppsc/attachments/working_group_team:20090416010511-0-30060/original/WGT%2520Conf%2520Call-Summary%2520(15%2520Apr%252009).pdf

The critical distinction in assumptions is that you see the chair's consensus call as the critical predetermination whether or not a result should become consensus policy. I see it as a tool to move the group forward to a recommendation that is then ratified (or not!) by a better legitimized council.

Of course, that's a fundamental dependency on whatever the policy process will say.