ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

[gnso-pro-wg] Statement of Interest

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pro-wg] Statement of Interest
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:17:15 -0500

In order to get things kicked off, I thought I would provide my
statement of interest.  If I remember correctly, all members of the
working group are required to file one.

I am the Senior Director of Law, Advanced Services & Business
Development for NeuStar, Inc.  NeuStar, is the registry operator
for the .biz generic Top-Level Domain and the .us country code TLD.
NeuStar also provides back-end registry services for the .travel and
.tel TLDs.  In addition, in April of 2006, NeuStar acquired UltraDNS
Corporation who provides managed DNS services for several thousand
enterprise customers in addition to providing DNS-related services for a
number of gTLDs and ccTLDs, including .info, .mobi, .org and .uk.

I started my career as an intellectual property attorney advising and
representing a number of large clients on the protection of their
trademarks and copyrights on the Internet in the mid 1990s.  In 1997, I
became an active member I the American Intellectual Property Law
Association, a large supporter of the Intellectual Property Constituency
at the time, and was the primary drafter of the original
Sunrise/Daybreak processes in 2000.

Shortly thereafter I began working for NeuStar, Inc. and was responsible
for the creation, implementation and administration of all policies
related to the launch and management of the .biz top-level domain.  As
many of you know, for .biz, we did not launch a Sunrise process, but
successfully administered an IP Claims process which provided an
opportunity for IP owners to notify .biz applicants of their claimed
intellectual property rights in particular .biz domain names.

In late 2001, NeuStar was awarded a contract to administer and operate
the .us TLD where we were required to launch a formal Sunrise process.
Dot-us was the first top-level domain (either ccTLD or gTLD) to launch a
Sunrise process that actually verified the information submitted through
applications with the applicable national patent and trademark office.

Since 2002, I have advised a number of sponsored TLDs on their launch
processes, including the .travel domain, which successfully launched
without any Sunrise or other Intellectual Property protection services.

I look forward to serving on this group.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.